Psst. Want to cut your electric bill by 50% and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time?

Don’t go telling everyone, but we figured you’d want to hear this, even if PG&E weren’t filing for bankruptcy (from electrical fires) and the California electric infrastructure weren’t taxed to the max, causing electricity prices to surge, threatening thousands of growers’ bottom line.

Ready?

MBS Engineering has partnered with Flex Energy to offer an on-site, high-output, natural gas turbine power solution for cannabis and hemp growers.

Link

What Is A Gas Turbine or Microturbine?
A gas turbine runs on natural gas. They burn clean with no particulate in the exhaust. That heat can actually be used to heat (or cool) facilities. And the trace CO2 in it is actually food for indoor plants.

Engineering Marvels
These units truly are breath-taking. One moving part. 8 hours of maintenance a year. Redundancy. Power storage without batteries.

Clean
Most grid/utility electric is actually COAL, which is not green. Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel. Consider it like the ‘hybrid vehicle’ of fossil fuels (which also run partly on fossil fuels).

Practical
The power company is already having trouble meeting the electricity demand in California, and the prices reflect that reality. Grid electric is approaching $.17 per kW hour, and could go as high as $.30 (ouch).

Dependable
Many people don’t know it, but because electric lines are above ground, they’re much more vulnerable during a disaster than gas. Gas lines also have bypass routes. Bottom line: if you can’t afford to go down, you want a gas turbine. Microturbines are also used for IT Data Center, Hospital, and other infrastructure (Cell Tower) equipment.

Financing Offered
5 or 10 years offered through Honor Enterprise Financing. See attached. Your total operating costs are between 30% and 60% of what you’re paying now for electric. All maintenance costs are covered.

You Own And Can Re-Deploy The Unit
After the financing term, this portable, clean, on-site, powerhouse is yours. Move it to…wherever.

Flex Energy gas turbines are state-of-the-art. They have one moving part and last for millions of hours. Their maintenance is covered in your financing.

Power to Scale
We can offer on-site power between 250 kW and 1.3 mW, freeing you from the arbitrary pricing of the electric company.

Save money and reduce your CO2 emissions. This sort of sells itself.

Use Case
If you’re drawing 1.3 mW from PG&E right now (if you’re lucky enough to have a need like that met by the electric utility), you’re paying about $150,000 a month; we can cut your power bill in half (natural gas fees and financing fees together), and also reduce your carbon emissions.

Free Yourself From Arbitrary Utility Company Cost Increases
Get ahead of rising electrical costs. Many experts predict PG&E prices to go as high as $.30 per kW (double what it is now).

Call Us Or Post Your Questions Here
Call us at 925-334-7200. Tell us you saw us on Grower’s Network. Ask to speak with Dan, one of our Sr. Engineers. Or, post a question here.

We’ve got a few month wait on these units, so call now to get at the front of the line. MBS Engineering are natural gas experts and can get started on a gas line to your property while Flex Energy builds and delivers your baby. You can be saving tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars a month by Summer.

We look forward to speaking to you larger hemp and cannabis growers. Just because you have money to burn doesn’t mean you have to.

Cheers,

MBS Staff
dan@mbs.engineering
925-334-7200

Resources
Gas Turbines, Generally
Cogeneration

6 Likes

Very cool technology! These are the kinds of technologies that will power our evolution. They look like they would be very useful for hospitals and critical care facilities in the event of grid failure. What other industries utilize similar tech?

2 Likes

Great question. These units can run grid-parallel, for redundancy, grid-independent, as a backup, or dual-mode. We identify 6 or 7 key verticals where they make a lot of sense: IT Data Centers (they can be used to cool, believe it or not), farming/agriculture (including marijuana and hemp), cold storage of food, production and manufacturing, automated fulfillment centers, critical infrastructure (airports, cell towers, etc.), and even schools - who often have pools that can be heated with ‘waste’ heat. The real appeal is that they are 90% efficient, cost less than grid electric for the same power, and reduce CO2 emissions.

3 Likes

Do you ever foresee a market for these units on a smaller scale? Perhaps for small “grid-defecting” or self sustaining communities or for other applications?

We live very close to Nogales and Rio Rico, AZ, where approximately 90% of the Southwestern U.S. gets it’s produce. There are massive complexes of refrigerated warehouses that store thousands of tons of produce that feed us all. No doubt the owners of these business cannot afford to lose their inventory due to grid failure. How many of these folks utilize your tech?

1 Like

As of now, not many. This is basically the ‘short line at the DMV’. Many people don’t understand that natural gas is cleaner than grid electric. There is the perception that electric is ‘green’, forgetting that much electric’s power comes from coal. There are gas turbines (microturbines) as big as coffee tables, which power single homes, in Denmark and Finland.

3 Likes

It sounds great, but first of all I would like to reduce energy costs because I am constantly saving and this month I still got a simple huge energy bill. Recently, I also found out that my supplier is going to increase the cost of electricity tariffs in the near future. I even wanted to switch to a fixed price tariff, but my supplier said that I can’t do this. I’m tired of all this and I decided to change the supplier. I found some great tips on usave, and now I am comparing the prices of all suppliers in order to choose the perfect option for myself! So I advise you not to overpay anyone and immediately look for another more reliable and loyal supplier!

You can change your tariff. For 2020, the average price per kilowatt in the country was 13 cents. Connecticut residents pay the most - 22 cents for 1 kW. I live in another state, but my friend also wanted to reduce the cost of bills. He lived in Massachusetts and paid almost $ 170 a month. When I moved, the amount almost tripled. This is too much for him. Because of this, we cannot often see each other at his house. He comes to visit him. The price is determined by a private company simplyswitch.com that provides services to your home. There are no state-owned companies, but there is a regulator that makes sure that prices are adequate. You can change the company, I even found a site where tariffs are provided at reasonable prices.

1 Like

What site is that?

1 Like