Psycho experiment with hashish

I have a question… hand pressing hash is actually easier with a glass bottle filled with 180-200 degree water…and done over hours… I don’t need this step… but I want to make a temple ball and to do that now I need heat etc to pull the resin to the outer skin and “seal” it… I am thinking of using my Sous Vide at 180 and and vac seal a ball of maybe 25g dunk in and out and work it… does anyone have wtf are you thinking comment or just go for it and hope I don’t get a wtf was I thinking… I am not trying to speed up the cure or age just “sealing” part…

2 Likes

a wtf are you thinking comment will not stop me… it just might change the amount I use… cause either way I am pressing 20g of good hash in the next week…I have 200g to play and extract with…including a 100g ball I am thinking about sealing if this works…

2 Likes

Will it stay in a ball when vac sealed, or is it ok if it turns into a patty? I watched a doc where Frenchie rolls a patty with a glass bottle filled with hot water, then forms it into a ball. I don’t know a thing about hash, but I use my sous vide a couple times a week and bet it would do a great job getting it heated gently and consistently.

2 Likes

I have watched every video of his… the roll with a bottle is basically complete… the “seal” with your hands as hot as you can manage on them I am try ing to avoid… so instead of hand sealing the ball with heat on your hands I heat the hash outer layer for a couple minutes (actual length depending on the sous vide) then roll with my hands to seal… his videos are older and sous vide is just catching on… I love my food cooked that way etc… so I am going to experiment with the hash… I love my extractions and grow to make them not the bud… bud is only to be evolved in my world…lol…I am also starting to be known as a hash maker… the guy I get grade AAA street hash from absolutely says mine is way better… so now it’s time to start making it by the lb…lol…

4 Likes

Have you got an infrared thermometer? I’d be curious to know what the surface temperature of the hash is while you’re rolling it, and how hot it needs to be to melt the resin to form a “seal”. Using a hot water bottle and rolling puts a lot of heat only at the point it’s touching, and the back side is pressed against a cool work surface. I’d be concerned about overheating the hash - it’s completely immersed in hot water, no cool work surface behind it or air to cool off the spot the bottle isn’t touching. With that in mind, I think a temp below 180 would be a place to start. I cook fish at 115°f, and I can only imagine the trichomes are at least as delicate as salmon.

2 Likes

Yes I have a 8 laser thermometer I use when chasing gas and checking dewax sleeve temperatur in the closed loop… and it will only be in for a few seconds to start and if required a little longer etc…then a little longer until I am comfortable with it…

3 Likes

I’m really interested in it. I have a guy at work who loves his sue viede. I never heard of it till he found one at a thrift shop for $5 and he has been hooked on it since. I’ve been thinking of asking him to make me some butter but I don’t want to get in trouble if word gets out that I grow weed. I’m a Machinist/Fabricator so under the boss mans eyes that would be frowned upon. As for your experiment I’d say go for it!!! It could end up being the best thing you’ve done. Experiment and learn.

2 Likes

I probably am going to go for… I am only hearing what might happen… so we will see if the mights are truth or that they aren’t…lol… and it’s only hash…lol…can get almost unlimited amount or can make a large amount…lol…

3 Likes

I hope it turns out great! I’m inspired and going to make some butter and oil in my sous vide soon, using it to decarb and infuse.

3 Likes

let us know how your butter and oil work out. what would be your ideal temp to set it at and for how long? There should be a cook book for the suse vide cannabis

2 Likes

Just found it last night.

Well daaaaaaaamn… thank you for posting @devjyarn

1 Like

I used to use a vice press to make all hash, you could even make one from a film canister and a quarter…
It really helps with the final product to have it pressed!!

2 Likes

Smashing 20g of beautiful hash on a 10T tomorrow… along with hopefully a QP of flower…lol…so either way the day will be beautiful…

1 Like

and sorry hash and pressing requires some heat…

2 Likes

Water heats /cools 16x faster than air does .so it wont take long at all be careful for sure id start lower than normal say 120°f so as the heat the center as well and maybe if need be a min or twao at end at higher temps.just my thought.

1 Like

Well just looked up the thermal transfer stats lol.theres a turbo wine cooler in town that chills wine 16x faster than a fridge (5 mins tops) and i assumed that i could use that as a reference lol.i found it actually 4.2x not 16. The wine cooler may be subzero temps

1 Like

We will have a chiller coming with a short path distillation set up when we pull the pin on one…priority might be a bigger column first… this lapsed out as I wasn’t pressing at my house and were pressing for a buddy and I think we probably got high…

2 Likes