Purple strains

Over the years I have noticed a difference growing purple strains in hydroponic vs outdoor soil. For example my new strain stinky pinky which is a pink kush I received from Amsterdam and a cross of skunk #1 from my friends in Canada. I always grow two test batches for my final, one batch Hydroponic and one outdoors in soil for comparison. The batch outdoors has a beautiful dark purple from the start of flowering my Hydro only a little hint of of purple at best. Has anybody else noticed this.

4 Likes

I have been making super purple in hydro. But my Temps would get down to 67 66 lights out.

Soil was the same, Temps real low and made purp but not like the hydro. And not all strains stress purple. Some stay green or turn black…

3 Likes

Yes if I lower the temp in my hydro grow it will bring out the purple if the strain leans toward the purple traits. What I noticed is the outdoor plant has purple through 3/4 of it’s life cycle where the hydro plant shows no purple at all unless forced to . Both batches where cloned from the same mother.

4 Likes

Outdoor temperature fluctuations has to be the reason, I would guess.

3 Likes

During most of the outdoor grow the temp never dropped below 70 except the last few weeks of flowering. But the purple remained from week 3 of veg on the outdoor grow. I just find it curious I have noticed this on past grows .

2 Likes

Even during night?

1 Like

Yes it was a warm summer. Day time temps were in the 90s.

1 Like

Oh. Maybe that’s all she took. I’m usually 68s in the eve. The hydro room likes to stay in that range. Even with all the machines rocking. My night is day time outside as well. So the sun should help but it doesn’t lol.