Quick Drying

So I’ve been experimenting with my food dehydrator to dry out my flower quicker. From all the research I’ve done it is a fairly controversial subject. Some believe that it degrades quality, some don’t. Personally I’ve noticed ZERO difference from drying the old fashioned way or using my dehydrator. The procedure does have to change slightly or the buds will become “crispy” if left for too long. The process I’ve been using is as follows. It allows me to have smokable flower in roughly 2-3 days from harvest!

1. Trim buds as usual
  2. Place in dehydrator with spade for airflow
  3. Set temp to 100 (this is very important to not have it any higher, you don’t want to destroy and terpenes or THC/CBD etc)
  4. I usually run mine for about 7-8 hours for the first run. Until the point where the outside of the bud is dry enough that when you jar it they won’t stick.
  5. Mason jar the bud, don’t move it too much for the first little bit, let the moisture from the inside of the bud work it’s way to the outside.
  6. Gently shake and roll the jar to slightly compress the buds after they have re moistened.
  7. Put the flowers back in the dehydrator for ONE hour same temp
  8. Re jar and repeat 5-6
  9. Put the buds back in for another hour after they have rehydrated (it will take slightly longer each time as there is less moisture in the buds)
  10. Re jar again, just repeat until most of the moisture is gone and there is only a little left in the stem.
  11. Smoke and enjoy fresh buds!!!
  12. If you accidentally dry it out too much, take the stem off of a banana and place it in the jar (there is enough moisture inside the stem to rehydrate the buds)
3 Likes

Use a 62% boveda pack instead of a banana stem… I find patience is the best way to dry and then a nice cure…

Good for you!

1 Like

To each their own!

1 Like

Wow, that’s great information when one might be in a hurry, thank you so much for sharing! I for one appreciate this post and might have even tried it but I have the cheapo dehydrator that you can’t control the temp, you plug it in and it’s on. Maybe I’ll experiment!

1 Like

Not being negative… I have an awesome problem… I never not have flower, wax etc… I always take the slow approach and the cure… because I can… that is all… it is an awesome tutorial though…

1 Like

That’s just it! It’s more or less just for people maybe just getting their feet wet. Want to try the harvest ASAP. Or for someone who has to move product as quick as possible etc. I just wanted to share my experience and knowledge because if it can help one person then if’s worth it! I think there is some negative stigma attached to dehydrators for some odd reason and I personally think it’s just purely based on stubbornness lol. Just my two cents. Also just wanted to point out the fact that I in fact do slow cure my cannabis as well. This method is strictly just for “DRYING” hence the title. It can get your bud dried quicker in more humid climates like I live. The humidity outside is over 65% in the spring and summer so drying can be a timely process.

1 Like

Good info. Its hard to wait another 2 weeks when the jar runs empty. I rarely get to cure. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

…lol… I still have 2 shopping bags of flower from last season and enough hash and rosin to get me to 2021 harvest… only growing this year to try breeding… I gues in a bit my friends will love me more… but they have cannabis from the 2018 still as well as 2019…lol… seriously no one will buy it in our area as it is every where…we are the mendicino of Ontario… and in my town of 300 people if that it is every where you can smell as you come with a 1/4 mile of the town and until you get a 1/4 mile past it…lol…another reason the weed is never stolen… other than 2 big dogs with the ability to free roam my yard at any point during a 24/7/365 period…lol…

1 Like

What a difference location makes. I’m exactly on the opposite of that situation. Not feast but famine. Desert.