Re-using coco

Whats up guys?
Growing in Canna coco, using house and garden full line but for the last 3 weeks of flo they say not to use top shooter or shooting powder if you wanna re-use your coco, is there anything I can substitue the shooting powder with? Maybe something like Overdrive, Boost or headmaster? What’s the best option for coco? thank you. I’m also open to switching nutrients line to make it easier next time. Thank you for any sugguestions
Artin

3 Likes

Don’t use top shooter but it’s just super charged potassium right?
I reuse coco from time to time, have always just used a flushing agent to do a complete and proper flush. Once the ppm of run off is acceptable, good to go for me…

4 Likes

Cool thanks man, I just got overdrive from advance nutrients, let’s see how it goes.

3 Likes

Heck. I just run Canna coco with Jacks 321, silica, Fishsh!t and recharge. Stop silica and recharge 3 weeks before expected harvest, and RO water only for final 7 days. At the end of harvest I fill a tote with water, line it with a large Muslin bag and set rootball in the tote to soak for a few minutes before I gently break the ball apart. Coco separates pretty easy with very minimal remaining roots.

5 Likes

Hehe, I must be the laziest!!! After harvest pot goes in the bath tub, roots stump and all. I’ve been using Sledgehammer, mix it in a 5 gallon bucket and flush till ppm comes down. Big ole butcher knife cuts around the stump about the diameter of a solo cup. New seedling in solo cup goes right in. Old root system still in there. It just dies and turns to food…

8 Likes

I have to many plants I can’t do all that, prob just flush big time last 3 to 5 days, then cut off the root ball and plant new guy in

2 Likes

The main thing is to make sure that the salts are either flushed or converted to usable nutrients, and the medium is neutral. Hit it with some emzymes to break down the root mass, and you are good to go.

Marty

3 Likes

I did forget to mention, first watering is with Recharge… That Marty knows some shit…:wink::grin::v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

yes i’m probably gonna switch to Canna next shot, I usualy put enzymes once a week and will double the dose on my last week before I harvest.

1 Like

What enzymes should I use to break down the old roots?

1 Like

Well, I just take out the big rough stuff, and leave the fine feeder roots. I grow organically, so zero problems with leaving organic roots in the pot to break down on their own, just like nature does. But if you want to rejuvenate coco and have used bottle chemical fertilizers, there is a product that True plant sciences makes called Liquid Soil. It is a biological Remediator/soil conditioner.

HTH
Marty

1 Like

I basically do the same as u but I use my own made recipe. I fill bathtub hott water with baking soda and lemon juice leaves it soak for a while for everything to absorb and get soaked occasionally I’d go in and pour a cup or so over top and let it soak down after id rinse it with all hott water leaves stand a bit rinse again all hot water for 2 or 3 runs of rinsing last rinse do it super well with cold water as to cool down the whole inside the pot so it’s not hot to create mold inside. Leave set to dry til ready to use them I’ll remove the big stumps and loosen as much as I can and plant and soak down with full strength nutes I did get a chance to try this opunterra soil regenerator and I think a good soak with that prior to planting and watering would be super well it’s seeming to be good stuff so far and others should try it as there r lots better growers than I. Lol. @opunterra can point u where to get some from

1 Like

I have a tote that I have most of my dirt in it also has worms and I just water it from time to time it’s been fine so far

1 Like