Recycle Soil ♻️

I’m beginning to start my second grow (I’m a Newb) & was considering to reuse my FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil from my last grow. All the plants were healthy for the most part. Was thinking to mix half used FF-OF + half new FF-Happy Frog.
Planning to do a heavy flush with the old, mix with the new, add some mycorrhizae, and perlite.
Thoughts? Recommendations?
Words of wisdom?

5 Likes

I’d say just flush the old soil well with water let it drain and dry out few days. Loosen it all up put the old at the bottom of the pot and new up too this way by the time roots wanna hit the old it’ll be flushed well and have the nutes u water with setting in good. My thoughts I use coco and just strain the big roots out after I flush it with hott water a few times then cold then I leave to dry. Loosen all up make my pots water with jacks at full strength then couple hours later I’ll make the hole and transplant and water one more little bit good.lick I’m sure ull do great

4 Likes

Honestly to recharge after a good grow, depends on you. This summer i was busy with life and grew cover crop in my pots all summer and then mulched it all in for a mulch. That was a 12 seed mix and gave back alot that i took, along with that i usually do 1/4-1/2 cup of a 4/4/4, worm castings, bokashi, and barley along with some good compost mix that in top 1-3” and the. Your good to roll make sure to keep moist as well until planting and not that it gets dried out

4 Likes

This is such an important step. I ended up loosing over 50 seeds due to mold in the soil and cause the seedlings to dampen off. Ended up putting the soil in a steel bath and heating it up with fire and steam the soil while flushing water through.

6 Likes

consider adding a mix that you can get to add to used soil Example: 'Kis" (Keep it Simple their Nutrient Pack) your soil has been used and one need to re-vitialize it !!! Remember once I use some soil that was outside that I used months ago - it was infested !!! threw away a Malawi that had “barnacle scales” which was the result if used soil. Now sure the cost is worth not having any soil issues. But did get a bag of soil that was infested once als Yea ! I do that myself - Ocean Blend and Happy Frog - 50-50 mix works excellent !!

4 Likes

I use Dr. JimZ`s Chicken Soup for the Soil at the beginning of Spring in my garden to rejuvenate it.

3 Likes