Renewability

Hey everyone I want to pick people brains as I found our industry uses a fair amount or resources to grow crops.

What are some things that you’ve found helpful or plan on doing?

Have you considered solar, wind or other renewables?
What about water, so much of it is needed for our little cuties. What’s the best way to conserve water. I know some places like California struggle with water same with certain parts of British Columbia because of the forest fires.

I’d love to hear how our industry is taking the steps to reduce our impact on our environments.

Those of you who have already implemented renewables how quick did you find a return/ expect a return.

@mastergrowers @growopowners

6 Likes

I can’t speak to renewable energy, I know some groups are trying to implement solar to offset approximately 50% of their peak energy loads. But they have run into some challenges and it likely won’t be viable for many growers, at least for now.

We recently wrote a guest blog for Ed Rosenthal that discussed why light deprivation greenhouses are the only cultivation method that is in the best interest of your flower, your grow operation, and the environment:

5 Likes

I grow 6 footers in a light dep hydro greenhouse, they drink 1 gallon of water daily in the summer. Get five crops per yr .05 per sq ft @ $0.22 per gram production cost. Hydro light dep is the future imo.

Using solar panels to power lights to grow a plant that grows better under sunlight makes no sense.

This is a good read.

Soon as borders can be crossed lot of northern states, and Canada aren’t going to find it lucrative to cultivate any kind of cannabis.

Now if those growing in greenhouses would just realize the canopy and soil aren’t their friend we’d really cut grow cost.

3 Likes

I just got a 1 kWe wind genset distribution offer from a German mfg… Am giving away free delivery and the nascele on the rooftop. Comes off-grid and 230/110 https://farawaylandseedbank.com/produto/skywind-1kwe-wind-generator-230-110-volt/

5 Likes

With drip irrigation I use about half of the water as I otherwise would use, roughly 250,000 gallons per acre (0.75 acre feet of water).

Cover crops preserve soil quality, add OM, and nitrogen.

I am companion cropping with white clover and wildflowers this year. It should help retain moisture possibly reducing water use further, adding sustained nitrogen, and reducing pest pressure, not to mention feeding some bees through summer and making for some nice photo ops.

My power use is super low as a fully outdoor producer. I use minimal power to overwinter mothers and produce clones. Just finished planting and shutdown all power today. Irrigation power costs about $15/mo max.

8 Likes

As far as reducing water and nutrient use indoors—testing your nutrient solution and root zone in addition to automation is absolutely key. If you are feeding at the wrong pH with inconsistent intervals, volumes, and concentrations you might as well pour half your nutrient solution straight down the drain. If your root zone temperature is too high, the pH is out of range, or it’s accumulating too many salts (EC) the plant is not feeding efficiently and you are wasting water and nutrients. I read recently that by keeping your root zone EC and pH consistent the plant spends much less energy adjusting the sugar content of its roots to keep osmotic flow into the plant.

8 Likes

I grow organic. I make my own compost - both vermicompost and reg. make teas for nutrients and buy bulk alfalfa meal (#50 bags for the price of a bottle nute) etc, I harvest as much rainwater as I can, I have a small solar array, just started using LEDs and COBs. I have little to no waste. I live in the desert.

7 Likes

That sounds incredible, something I’d love to go towards for my home grows.

4 Likes

Look into WaterPulse Capillary Mats, They save up to 70% of water used.

We did a little breakdown that you guys might find interesting.

Water Consumption of 1 Cannabis plant is as follows: 65L seed to harvest

30 day veg grow =500 ml average per day =15L per cycle

50 day flower growth=1000 ml per day =50L per cycle

Total Greenhouse footprint =140,000 sq ft

Cannabis Canopy = 89,600 sq ft

That is 65 litres per plant per life cycle or averaged to 810ml per plant per day.

448 benches at 4x 50 feet =89,600 plants

89,600 x 810 ml = 72,576 litres of water used per day at full operation.

Water Consumption for Other Agriculture Commodities:

Alfalfa (140,000 square foot field using pivot arm) = 93,536 litres per day = 22% Water savings for your operations

Corn (same area) = 130,060 litres per day = 45% Water savings for your operations!

2 Likes

Walmart did a six month trial and tracked the water, labor and plant savings at two stores. Once they saw the results they rigged up all 3700 garden centre across the U.S in 2015.

Coolest thing about the mats is that they have a anti microbial fibre woven into them.

2 Likes

/original/2X/d/dfed0181c0fedc0643be06f2abff4cb226759305.mov

2 Likes

I’d like a selection of quality and popular strains with 50 day flower cycles please. You provide the cuts and I’ll buy the mats. :slight_smile:

Thanks
JB

2 Likes