Reusing Soil -- Coast of Maine

I am currently on my first grow using Coast of Maine Stonington Blend potting soil. Everything is going great and I really like this soil but it’s way too expensive for comfort.

How can I go about reusing this soil for my next grows? I assume I will be mixing in dry amendments but how do I calculate how much to use and of which components?

Anyone have a good TEK for this?

4 Likes

I like Dr. JimZ`s Chicken Soup for the Soil.

4 Likes

I use coast of maine seedling mix for my outdoor garden as well as a mix with fox farms ocean forest. To re amend the best thing i can tell you is try and top dress feed through out your grow. As you do that it will keep the soil charged with everything plants need and will be easier to re amend at the end. I usually re ammend with a 4-5-2 and add barley, worm castings bokashi to that as a top dress mix. Add cover crop and let it grow out then chop and drop or cover with straw and keep moist and let biology break down old plant. Otherwise if your impatient or dont have anymore pots pull old stock/ rootball before your re amend. Hope this was helpful in a way.

4 Likes

You paying for what you getting and some soils are worth every cent. But I hear you about cost of sustaining especially when you just growing for home. I try and make my own soils and use any extra I can get my hands on. So maybe just build with the used soil.

Might be a good idea to steam your soil in the long run and add to compost and perlite.

4 Likes