Root Aphids

Now we believe that the yellowing and fan leaf die off is a root aphid infestation. We have scoped some very tiny jumping larva, assuming these are the root aphid larva (or thrips, not as concerning). Only a very small amount of small dark brown, fast moving, bugs have been found. Anyone have some suggestions to confirm what we have and how to treat it? All info and feedback is much appreciated!

3 Likes

Hi there. Susan here with Green Mountain Harvest. If you google “what does a root aphid look like”
you will see some great pictures. When I started my business in 2010, the Denver grows were infested
with root aphids. I found that MET 52 was the best method of treating this problem. No flushing required
as the product is not systemic. Novozymes Met52 EC is a contact bio-pesticide that contains live spores of
the insect pathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae strain F52 (11.0%). There are very few reports of
of root aphids now in Denver. Hope this helps. Thanks
Susan

5 Likes

Overall cleanliness by everyone that comes in and out and not allowing personal grows are all apart of a larger IPM Program. As Susan mentioned earlier many cultivators have had a lot of success with a Bio-Insecticide called Met-52. It needs to be fresh and kept cool because it is a biological and it kills Root Aphids, Thrips (in soil), Mites (in soil), and also great for Fungus Gnats. There have been many reports of Lead Cultivators using it successfully for more than 5 years. Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

2 Likes

Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…

Thanks Brendan! I don’t think it is a soil born pests anymore but if you take a look at my new topic “Mystery Plant Problem” that I just posted it might get some new ideas for the culprit.

2 Likes

Thanks Susan! I posted a new topic wt photos “Mystery Plant Problem” maybe it can get some new ideas.

Much appreciated:)

1 Like