RSO processing

How does everyone cut back on the turpenes and plant flavor when making RSO using alcohol for consumption? Is there a better process for this?

2 Likes

I thought that FECO was everything or was the paste everything and RSO is minus the silk and fibre, but includes the fat and oil, etc else?

2 Likes

cut back on the turpenes and plant flavor

That is unusual process. Just process the raw product more, the flavors will go, especially doing RSO.

1 Like

Process how? How would you do it?

2 Likes

Usually processors want the turpenes and flavors, its the reason people do “fresh frozen” processing, you get better terp profiles. What alcohol are you using to make your product?

1 Like

You really want to retain your terpenes for
your rso @hoosier_grower. They have lots of medicinal value in them. As far as trying to remove your chlorophyll so it’s not so bitter. You can put your washed alcohol in the sun for 60 minutes and it will evaporate. I don’t do this anymore because I haven’t found out if the sun is bad for my phytocannabanoids. So I use empty gelatin capsules to take my rso and you don’t taste it.
Till you burp an hour later. But I love the taste of my rso!

2 Likes

I’m going to process 4 oz of flower into RSO tomorrow. I’ll link you when I upload all my work. But I try to keep my temps as low as possible the entire process to help retain all my terpenes and flavanoids.

3 Likes

The process I know is as follows…

-Grind the herb

• bake at 240 for 40 min inside of a turkey bag
  • combine with everclear (95%) for several hours
  • cook off the alcohol over medium heat

I feel this leaves to much bitter and flowery flavors in what ever you use the rso in…

1 Like

That would be awesome to see. Feel free to post or PM me it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m now reading your process of making your rso @hoosier_grower. When I wash my flower with my ethanol it’s only soaking for 5-10 minutes tops. That’s plenty of time for all your trichomes to be washed off, and all your medicine to be extracted. That’s why your getting overloaded with chlorophyll, or that green bitter plant taste.
I still get a little bit of bitter, but it’s not that bad.
:v:

2 Likes

awesome. I wondered about that. I felt it would have been to long. Finished with yours yet?

2 Likes

I was just thinking about this, are you decarbing before you wash with ethanol?

1 Like

Yes I am @hoosier_grower. I just decarboxilated a couple more oz yesterday to include in my run. It’s alot of work and might as well make as much as possible.
I give it a day to sit after I bake it in mason jars.
My whole process is about retaining as much terpenes and flavanoids as possible.
That’s why I use sealed mason jars.
High thc strains I cook at 200f for 28 mins. It’ll have more time to cook when I distill off my etoh, and then burn the rest off in my rice cooker.
High cbd or 1:1 strains I bake at 240f for 35 mins.
:v:

1 Like