Seed Companys which ones are keeping the lineage?

Well, since OK is newly on the cannabis scene, startup growers and the like are in a pickle trying to find quantities of clones. I haven’t grown from seed since I was a kid. There are many seed companies out there claiming all sorts of things. Growing from clones was easy because of the repeatability. Which seed companies offer great genetics and have strains such as Granddaddy Purp, NL5, OG kush? Thanks in advance.

Lost in the internet

5 Likes

I have OGK, Purple Kush, Purple Urple, Bubba Kush etc. Message me.

2 Likes

I just seems to me that it would be a good idea to keep some of the landrace varieties in tact. Otherwise, we wont have anything to tinker with eventually. Its nice to remember how the original white widow tasted and smelled back in the 90’s. I highly doubt todays white widow is the same.

4 Likes

So thats my main function. is to preserve certain strains at certain points in time. I would put my WW up against any of the new versions. bet mine would win. anyways if you want to order something let me know, i could use a sale thos week.

4 Likes

Glad someone is thinking about the future of cannabis.

3 Likes

I call it the HypeStrainTrain. Dont get me wrong. I own a massive gene pool. However strains never last now a days to become classics. They are usually F1 and done. Never tested, or phenoed for that matter. My selections have been phenoed over years and years. making sure quality every seed.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with you on this. Its like a kid in a candy store mixing all the different candies. Chocolate is pretty damn good all by itself.

5 Likes

I own Authentic Genetics, I sell seeds of many of the virarties you mentioned, and I even have seeds made directly by Mel Frank such as Skunk No.1 and Durban Poison.

Hit me up with any questions!

Authentic Genetics Seed Catalog Mid May 2019.pdf (2.3 MB)

3 Likes

this is THE issue regarding the future of cannabis :: genetic variety. Even the list by @todd.mccormick does not have pure lines, rather a list of crosses with their Haze. But what’s worse is the Landraces in remote regions that are quickly being crossed with more “desirable” or trending strains in order to maintain commercial viability (when was the last time you got a native landrace from your dispensary?).
I suppose you could argue that there are groups and individuals out there (StrainHunters is sort of the most egregious example) collecting and saving native strains from around the world, but those missions fall short of actually saving the genetic diversity needed.
in the recent AMA, @reggie talked about this briefly when he mentioned saving seeds in an underground frozen vault (like they have in Norway )
Anyway, its a rich rich topic

3 Likes

Great post, @Herbert_Ashe! Landrace varietals are becoming harder and harder to find. And to answer your question:

Answer: NEVER!

In case you missed it, here’s a link to the @reggie AMA that @Herbert_Ashe referenced:

3 Likes

There are many out there who preserve landraces, either in seed form, or mother farms. They exist, and my shout out to those who put those resources into that aspect, as we can’t even begin to fathom how much revenue they lost cause they devoted space to that as opposed to the growing bud for sale.

But, we need to do more. We need to go to remote places, and offer fair prices for landrace seeds instead of the exploitative way it has been done. And we need to work on not contaminating those regions with hybrid genetics, because it will happen on its own eventually anyway. There is already evidence there are “dutch” genetics showing up in places that shouldn’t have them.

There is also evidence that the intense breeding for THC has caused some loss of genetics on the THC dominant side. What was shown was that there were more minor cannabinoids seen on the CBD lineage side. This suggests that there may have been gene loss during the breeding for higher THC. The only way to get that back is to backcross to landraces that may have them, or to CBD lines that have them, and then select for those lines that still have those minor cannabinoids.

So landraces are important. they represent not only the sum total of all Cannabis diversity, they represent the sum total of all potential medicines that can be produced from this plant.

5 Likes

If you’re interested in finding Landrace genetics, there are some good sellers at @Strainly, as well The Real Seed Co is pretty awesome, tho they Do Not ship to the US. There are a few people and collectives that I follow on IG, Most are private, but they’re pretty easy:: https://www.instagram.com/irrazinig/ is a good place to start - they have amazing descriptions of the places they visit, and seeds they acquire.

1 Like