Seed storage?!?! I know crazy question

So as we know I am starting this fun fun Journey VERY soon but my Question is while I wait for other things to arrive an … honestly the vacation/move to be over I need to store these BEAUTIFUL BABIES but I wanted to have everything that way the moment I hit the new place I’m … LITERALLY….up and running…. So any advice is ALWAYS welcomed from you fine gentlemen! I hope Everyone has a Fantastic weekend! #BlackSheepCrew picture is seeds from ILGM that actually arrived 2 days early …. Durban Poison, Runtz, Banana Kush and Sour Diesel….

9 Likes

I store my seeds in a dark light proof container in a refrigerator. I have also stored them in vacuumed sealed freezer bags in a freezer for long term storage. I have seen pictures that @PreyBird1 posted where he stores in mason jars in a dark room. He would be a great source on storage because he is a seed breeder.

6 Likes

I keep the seeds in light proof containers. At around 65 degrees. But i just got a dedicated minifridge for storing seeds now. Because my most important strains are in the fridge. It helps keep the seeds dormant. And temp swings are very bad. If the seeds get to warm it will activate the seed and it will start to use its stored nutrients getting ready to sprout because the temperature is warm to where it normally sprouts. Im not a fan of freezing seeds. Lots of folks do it. But i always try and make sure my seeds are fresh and i try and adhere to a 5yrs rule. Grow it out within 5yrs and preserve the strain for the next generation. Because viability seriously degrades after 5yrs. And fresh seeds have the most energy built up for the most viable and vigorous growth.

11 Likes

And i try and find out how long someone had the seeds before i buy any. What if they had them for 5 yrs and didnt keep them well? Paying top dollar for old stale seeds sucks. I have spent good money on “fresh seeds” from afficianados and they have poor germination. So if there older then thats money down the drain possibly!

8 Likes

@nacho151 and @PreyBird1 Thank You BOTH very much!! I take EVERYTHING you both have to HEART thats for sure im really Dedicated to learning this craft to the best of my ability in order to preserve an pass it on THE PROPER way to the next Generation Im very OCD and everything has a place so with this knowledge now … 65 degrees it is … Especially knowing the extent of your work Prey! Thanks Again Guys Love Gaining Knowledge!!
#BlackSheepCrew :rocket: :rocket:

9 Likes

I store mine in soil, stress them out and then 3 months later I start storage again. Lololol.

For real though… a box. Lol

9 Likes

I had this for years and never really used it but decided to pull it out and check temps. It was 82° out side and the cooler was running at 66 and the humidity at around 35%. I use this now for all types of storage. I put them in an airtight, light proof container. I used it to dry my last plant and the wet weed brought the humidity up to 55 to 60. I also bought the wall plug adaptor. It’s the perfect size forr a single user like me. I have had this cooler for over 15 years. It sat in storage for over 5 years and it’s still kickin’. Coleman = quality.

6 Likes

i appreciate that Brother man! and @Slym3r YESSSSSS i would LOVE to just store them in the soil lol! hahahaha but yea I not to long now guys!! an we shall be GROWING!!

6 Likes

6 Likes

You can store them at my house

7 Likes

I appreciate the offer I DO :joy: :rofl: But im good now!

6 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party, but I started a similar topic not long ago… Posted this article over there:

5 Likes