Seeds how to tell if there good

Can someone tell me the real story on if seeds sink or float if they’re good or bad I’ve googled the heck out of it and I get two different answers.

3 Likes

In my experience let the floating seed stay in the water a longer time, they may have a stronger thicker shell. Add a drop or 2 of H2O2 to help.

2 Likes

I just had 12 crack with tails within 48 hours. All floaters. I did add a few drops of H2o2. All went into coco, and only 10 have survived.

4 Likes

That’s exactly how I do it. They all should float on their own when dropped into the water. If they sink on their own right away they’re supposed to be no good. If they sink overnight that’s not a bad thing.

4 Likes

I don’t think that is an accurate indicator of anything. Put them in a paper towel, then sink them in the bottom of the glass of water. Leave them like that for 6-8 hours. Then put them in wet paper towels. The main thing is to get the seed hydrated with moisture, then provide it with a germination environment that is neither too moist or too dry ample moisture with a lot of oxygen. New roots want moisture, but more importantly they want oxygen with enough moisture to grow. Hence H2O2. oxygen is H2O two hydrogen 1 oxygen. H2O2 gives them twice the oxygen.

Marty

5 Likes

I’ve had some float. After so much time I poke the floaters and they sink.

The best indication is just germinate the seeds. If they’re healthy they’ll sprout.

3 Likes