"Small Head" Disease? Cannabis Virus? any feedback?

We have experienced what I think is the same thing. Some branches on a single plant will be fine while others produce larf with no good trichomes in sight. We just kept trucking with a focus on soil health (we grow in living soil). And all of it eventually just dissappeared. Focus on healthy mother cuttings and good biology and watering practices. The strain is killer now when it wasn’t much to speak of before…

2 Likes

thanks for the update Cody. Pretty sure it is a virus, if i was going to name it would be PCIA (putative cannabis infectious agent) based on reports. It looks pretty slow moving, can be in plans with low titter can show symptoms in half the plant… Suggest cleansing mom block… if its there its there, healthy plants show less symptoms but its still in there.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Putative cannabis infectious agent seems to be code for “we don’t know,” sort of like SIDS in infants. There are undoubtedly a lot of potential viruses out there. Hopefully breeders start actually breeding for pest and disease resistance. I am honestly a little suspect of what would generally be weak genetics - lack of stabilization in breeding allows for poor genetic expression susceptibility to even minor stress (what would be either a phenotypic variation (caused by environment) or an easily induced degradation of healthy gene expression). I would always recommend getting rid of any suspect strains or plants. Try to up your facility cleanliness wherever possible, and in the long run try living soil! It’s far beyond our comprehension everything microbiological associations can do for plant health. I’ve been reading up on “duds” and viruses, and the plant/strain I mentioned fits into these descriptions like a glove. Good cleanliness, good cuttings, and good soil biology have completely brought her back. It’s been quite an amazing transformation to watch. May the force be with you!

1 Like

I think it still is largely ‘dont know’ applies generally to a lot of cannabis topics at this point.
A healthy plant likely has less symptoms but doesn’t mean its not infected. I haven’t seen a strain that is immune yet.

We run a pretty clean facility (https://vimeo.com/glasshousefarms/intro) I’d say we have things mitigated but I want it eradicated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Broad Mites have a growth inhibitor in their saliva that results in very similar deformations and “miniaturizing” - get at least a 40x scope and take a look on the affected areas @graham

Maybe post some photos under the scope if possible.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, you’re right that it looks similar, its definitely not mites…

need to look at Ca, Mg ratios (2:1) and Na (Ca x .1) in soil solution (use pour thru test). Other causes can be unwashed coco coir (leach out the preservatives before adding) or contaminated perlite in your potting mix, molasses can cause problems with soil microbes also. You might consider a petiole and or a blade analysis near the problem region to see tN and micro nutrients and physically look at roots and determine siderophores present and iron levels.

1 Like

So it sounds like things have gotten a lot better than they were for you? That video is very nice. I’m jealous of your facilities! If things have indeed gotten significantly better, would you mind sharing with the forum what you’ve done so far that you think has helped?

1 Like

Fresh mom’s and better identification in veg are probably the two biggest improvements. As i mentioned, mitigation but not yet eradication. We’re working on some objective processes (i.e. testing) so that we can definitively clean it out, but can’t speak to results on that yet.

2 Likes

Broad mites are very toxic to plants and even 1 mite will do considerable damage that will not “heal”. Broad mites are very small, much smaller than a spider mite. Webbing is rarely seen and you will often spend a considerable amount of time before finding one.

2 Likes