So no one misses it, new thread with results on moisture versus temp in fabric pots

OK this is just a chart, no pictures needed…the results from my stumbling into a temp/moisture correlation by accident playing with my new laser IR temp gun.

Day one 11am normal time to water based on the position of the leaves (drooping slightly)

5 gal fabric pot black. Start of test is Base immediately after watering. Same time of day. 11 am.

Top of pot: Bottom of Pot: Relative humidity in grow room: Ambient Air Temp
Base 70 deg. 70 deg 62% 72.5 deg.
24 hrs. 70.2 deg. 68 deg. 63% 72.3 deg.
48 hrs. 72.5 deg. 70 deg. 60% 72.3 deg.
72 hrs. 73 deg. 69 deg. 55% 72.2 deg.

So my conclusion is that you can use a differential temperature from top to bottom of the fabric pots
to determine time to water. It appears that a 4-5 degree temp difference is the correct difference to water the plants. Bear in mind that the temp gun has a +/- variance as well. And it looks like as the plants use up the water in the pots there is less transpiration of moisture into the air and the relative
humidity of the air in the room goes down.

8 Likes

Must say that is a very insightful way of looking at when plants need watering. Thank you for sharing.

5 Likes

Makes total sense nice job sciencing the hell out of that

4 Likes

Right on thanks for the info. I’ll definitely be using this method once I transplant into fabric pots.

3 Likes