Some ethanol filtering

I had this green monster staring at me forever. So I decided it was time to filter it. I used chromatography process for the filtering.

Fast filter paper
2TBS damascus earth
6TBS activate charcoal
Pretty happy with the clean up. Now to try and convert a free rice cooker into a distiller since “Comie” Cali won’t sell high proof alcohol anymore.

8 Likes

Lab & Food Grade Alcohol | 200 Proof Ethanol | Shop BVV

@happilyretired does some extraction and reclaiming ethanol…

8 Likes

Thanks for the link. They want $30/gal. OK but another $30 to ship. Ouch!
Distiller it is. Haha

5 Likes

That’s why I bought a still… I just make my own…

After high wash my keef I usually just run it through The Buckner filter a couple of times and it’s usually amber but very clear. Then I run it through the source turbo and recycled the alcohol. It comes out crystal clear and all you got left is the oil or rosin or whatever you wanna call it. I call it 70 to 80% THC. :man_shrugging::wink::v:t3:

7 Likes

@happilyretired
I’ve seen those source turbos. Are you happy with it?
What’s the capacity of alcohol it process at once?

Thanks

5 Likes

I’m fairly happy with it. It has a vessel in the center that holds I think about a pint maybe. it takes about four hours to recycle your alcohol and you’ll probably get about 90% return on the alcohol. I have some that I’ve ran four or five times and it’s still just pure alcohol. The best you can get out of the still is 95% which equates to 190 proof.
The only real negative I see with the source turbo is the clear collection vessel that goes around the center vessel that holds the alcohol and heats up is made out of plastic. It’s loaded with hairline fractures from the vacuum that gets put on it. I’ve had it for over a year and probably ran at least 15 gallons of alcohol through it. i’m very certain that eventually this thing is going to crack and need to be replaced. I won’t know how well there’s customer service works out until that occurs…:+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

I was thinking about converting the rice cooker with this heat exchanger to a distiller. I have a temp controller also.

7 Likes

The source turbo never gets over 105°. It evaporates the alcohol and it sticks to the sides of the plastic container it also has a glass lid that is on an angle the condensation builds up on the lid and then drips into the plastic vessel that goes around the metal vessel that gets warm. It also puts a specific amount of vacuum on the chamber to lower the boiling point. They do not advertise their specific number but they have different settings for different altitudes. Simple and complicated at the same time.

5 Likes

Explains the 105 temp. I was planning on running at 170df cut out 172 cut in 168 df. Going into shop tomorrow going to get a temp controller and see what happens. I opened up the rice cooker and simple setup. No electronics to deal with. I believe/ hope the temp controller will handle the amp load. Find out tomorrow when I read the data sheet.

6 Likes

Update
Finished the distiller. Sealant curing overnight. Gonna try to test it out tomorrow.
I used a temp controller from the used bin at work some scrap 1/4” copper tubing.

Had to buy some tubing and a bucket.

5 Likes