Spectral science research in cannabis cultivation

Hi @mastergrowers, hi @growopowners,

We would like to start a discussion about spectral science research in cannabis cultivation and I would highly appreciate some input from cultivators:

Have you ever deployed spectral tuning strategies to optimize your cultivation process?

• Yes
  • No, but I will
  • No, I am not interested

0 voters

What would you expect from deploying such strategies?

• Inceasing yields
  • Minimizing cost of production
  • Optimizing ingredient profiles
  • Others

0 voters

We will be in the US next week so just say hello if you are interested to discuss that topic further.

Cheers

Christoph

4 Likes

Firstly, very interested in this topic. I don’t believe there is going to ever be a ‘universal perfect spectrum’, but I’d like to learn more about this topic as a whole of-course.

Also, I’m a bit confused by a part of your site. This number seems rather high. Is this a typo?

4 Likes

Hi Austin,

I totally agree with

Thats one of the reasons why tunablility + data science is crucial.

Regarding the 6,750 µmol/m²/s it is not a typo. You would just need 22 of our modules per m². But of course that’s not reasonable for cultivators :wink: but it is for some researchers

Can you please share a bit more informations about you? Will you be in Vegas?

cheers

Christoph

3 Likes

Interesting. So do you believe different phases of the growth cycle might enjoy different variations of spectra?

Yes, my mother and I will be in Vegas together to meet with everyone and hangout. We are an LED light manufacturer with a current primary focus on networking and understanding aspects of the industry we haven’t thoroughly researched/considered. We also intend to hit a lot of CBD booths to learn about that sector, as well.

We’ll definitely stop by and check out your booth. See you there!

Regards,
Austin Rouse

4 Likes

It totally amazes me how much light technology has changed in my professional life.

I can remember having to pull canvas cloth over Mum beds every night and having lights on to keep things vegetative

I and remember buy my first HID lights for my first glasshouse.

I would be all over LED lighting for glass house production today.

What is the heat generation for each unit?

In an old germination and TC room we had a wall of floresent fixtures. Covered by white acrilic. Dispersing the heat was a big challenge.

3 Likes

We are doing a lot of work with tunable lighting using our FluxScale Top Lights. @Growernick just posted about a grow he did with our lights, leveraging the tunable capabilities all throughout the grow.

Our approach with tunable lighting is to cut down the number of variables as much as possible and keep the objectives simple. At the moment, we are primarily studying two objectives: reduction in time to harvest for various cultivars and boosting resin content with blue rich light. Our lights have an extended tunable range, which lets us produce many spectrum settings at full power, so GrowFlux is in a unique position to demonstrate the value of tunable lighting here.

Check us out at MJ BizCon Booth 1129!

4 Likes

I’m currently running trials with several LED vendors in my greenhouse. Two, Lumigrow and heliosptecra have spectral control. This is new territory for me, does anyone have experience with this? What can be acheived by manipulating the spectrum, and where might I find more information?

2 Likes

Nice article today in Washington Post. High-tech farmers are using LED lights in ways that seem to border on science fiction

3 Likes

Great article, @ethan! Thanks for sharing. Do you, as the article suggests, believe that conventional farming will move indoors with the advances in efficient lighting arrays?

2 Likes

That maybe the answer to the question that will make your children rich. Microsoft or ATT of today?

1 Like

I use almost exclusivly LED lighting. I love your thoughts here. Its potentially viable im sure. Those are Super cool lighting. if you ever want to get some off site feedback, from in the field growing let me know. I do some product testing and reviews. Mainly into genetics, but lighting is a close second for me.

4 Likes