Stainly observation. Nice clues for breeding opertunities

I was browsing the catolog on Stainly and am noticing something interesting.

Some of the flowers show signs of polyploidy. Larger than average flowers, slight cluby shape.

Take your polyploid and cross with a dipploid and you get a sterle Triploids! :grimacing:

Pick your favorite child. TC to cleanup any viruses. I think this is mother plant vigor issues decreasing over time. We have virus. Definitely TMV I see it in about 25% of plant photos of whole plants. Look at lower leaves on cannabis for uneven pigment distribution. Some people say nutrition. I say no. Look at the rest of the plant. Little difficult to tell at flower with the plant sealing copper from old leaves. :shushing_face::upside_down_face:

Do you see the same thing? :thinking:

@hunter or @fdousty is there a simple test for polyploidy? I remember some couple dollar at kitchen chemistry test. Morter and pestil and two solvents and a stain? May have been my plant physiology/analytical chemistry class. And one of the dozens of thin film classes. There was a ratio of total chlorophyll expression and polyploidy.

Could Triploids that are stiryl are patent able! :grimacing:

@Farmer_Dan, @Growernick, @ron and @MK3_Pharms, @carlos

@Strainly Allen, do you think we can ask your breeders about some general populations features? I would put a questioner together. Let you handle.

From the voices in my head :cold_face:
Ethan.

3 Likes

I seem to recall something about stomatal size being larger as ploidy level increases. Also number of chloroplasts can be counted. Both can be done with a decent microscope, but you do need a known diploid for a reference point. I am not sure if it is a feature among all plants or just some. I’ll try and find the article.

I also recall from breeding courses that making a triploid is a way to lock genetics without needing a patent. Since it is sterile, nobody can use your line for breeding. Sure you can clone it, but you should be on to bigger and better things by then. This is only worthwhile of that triploid is a solid F1 from a seed stand point. I suppose you can pheno hunt something worthwhile to clone, but I see this side of the industry declining, and the ones who do this phenohunting and clone pushing need some more professionalization.

Maybe it will be like hops and clonal for the most part? What hops does differently with their pheno hunting than what we see now with cannabis is EXTENSIVE FIELD TRIALS (and beer trials) before releasing clonal stock.

While purchasing clones might be a closer guarantee to something worthwhile, what you see isn’t usually what you get in the cannabis seed world. One example, $600 for a 8 seeds of a 3 way cross? Hard pass. I think I would be better off with 300 Powerball tickets. Nothing against Strainly in this comment, they are just the platform. This problem with cannabis breeders has been around for a very long time.

2 Likes

Comparison of ploidy level screening methods in watermelon: Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Matsum. and Nakai

2 Likes

Dan,

Yes Yes and no.

Yes stoma desitty increases.

Yes dry wieght increase.

No you don’t have to have pure F1 lines but does work better. More predictable.

Cholisine is a short cut that wotks really well! On vegetative points. You then do a cross back back and back. At the same time.

From the voices in my head

Ethan

Ethan Kayes

1 Like

So turning a triploid to a hexploid and going from there to reverse engineer a cultivar?

How about treating a diploid of one cultivar to make a tetraplood and crossing it to the original diploid to make a triploid? Any weirdness happen with that?

Cholchicine is some nasty stuff. How do you feel about amiprophos-methyl or pronamide as an alternative?

1 Like

Dan, exactly that’s what they did in the first WW2 seed Hemp. The F2 are useless. They found a really great fiber sport. Wanted seed.

Ethan Kayes

1 Like