Steering roots with deep cups?

I started some seeds in tall wax cups tonight .
Got me thinking about what is it we want from the first deli starter cup ?
Smaller deli cups are usually root bound quickly . Just curious if a by using deep cups we could steer the roots deep . The idea is to get a good root mass going . Then when they go into their veg/flower pot the roots are already deep and could develop a better root mass ?

7 Likes

that makes sense :slight_smile: we will see how it works out

as you doing for us

All the best

Dequilo

8 Likes

Try to keep all your info in one thread. Multiple threads will have lost info on your growing. Harder for users to keep track.

9 Likes

indeed :slight_smile: makes it easier for us stoners to follow along

7 Likes

@crazy4coco welcome to the GN Family!!!

You’re going to find a great group of growers here with tremendous ‘real world’ experience !
@Slym3r is correct in that if you stay within one thread, we can all find your questions/comments a lot easier !
Just wanted to put forth one phisiological fact especially relevant to establishing new seedlings/clones…oxygen to the roots is a PARAMOUNT consideration. You will see many growers perforating their solo cups with paper punch size airholes. Obviously, a very well drained/aerated soil or coco mix fills the bill.
Only other comment I may make is use of well or ‘spring’ water. These sources ‘look’ and ‘sound’ very nice, but beware, both are often sources of bacterial and fungal pathogens…if you experience any issues with seedlings ‘damping off’ you need to discargd any used planting mixes and get yourself a reasonably priced R/O unit…
Best of luck !
Bob

6 Likes

That’s a great tip on the solo cups ! I like trying new techniques . Makes since to me basically a mini net pot . Sorry I will keep my post more organized . Looking forward to sharing and receiving knowledge here .

6 Likes

You won’t be disappointed, this is a stress free environment!
Over the years our moderators have done a great job of getting rid of the loons !

5 Likes