Strain patents: yay or nay?

Actually I wasn’t talking about Jack Herer as I have only met him once and it was brief but what I remember he had a peppery spicy kind twist to him all fired up. No I was speaking about Jack can’t remember his last name another grower at CBC around that same time as Dr. John Hudson and I. I thought you might have remembered him from back then. Todd I respect you, Denis, Beth , Mary, and Dr. John as well as Watson and many others you have all paved my way into this scene in different ways. Im sorry if I have come across as not being appreciative because I will be forever in debt to guys for what you have done. I never forget where I have come from and the people that have made that possible. Much Love

4 Likes

Much love to you too brother: if you are going to be at the Emerald Cup this year, please let me know, as I would love to burn one with you.

3 Likes

I will be there on Sunday 12/16 and would love to smoke a joint with you brother its been many years and most of the rest of us from the CBC day’s are gone sad to say. We lost two greats with Dennis Peron and Dr. John Hudson just this year alone and only weeks from each other RIP. Can’t wait to see you in December brother and share some cannabis and stories. Much love and have a blessed evening.

3 Likes

@mattallen1977 @todd.mccormick I’m moderating a panel on cannabis, ethics, and IP at the Emerald Cup this year. I’m not sure what day it is yet - if you are there, I hope you can come. It would be great to meet you IRL and to have you as part of the discussion.

4 Likes

Thank you for this info! I’m new to all this, so the guidance is appreciated. Starting a new channel is probably a good idea; not sure if we need to move these posts or not. Seems OK if we link back, what do you think?

2 Likes

Talk about great info and insight here… So much, that i am going to be doing homework for a long while…:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Hey folks,

I’ve done a little digging into UPOV and how it works, and I reached out to their office to ask about whether clones are considered.

In short, it looks like the answer is dependent by local UPOV offices. See below for the email with information from the UPOV office.

If you have time, I highly recommend looking at the PLUTO database they mention. It has about 630 entries for Cannabis, about 350 of which are on cannabis plants that have been granted UPOV registered. Only one has been accepted in the US - Ecuadorian Sativa, which also has a plant patent.

I’m busy this week getting ready for MJBizCon and launching our new database + data sharing SOP (!!!), so I might be slow to respond, but as always hope that this information is helpful.

//

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning varieties of cannabis. The UPOV Test Guidelines are intended to cover all varieties of Cannabis sativa L., as indicated in Chapter 1 “Subject of these Test Guidelines: These Test Guidelines apply to all varieties of Cannabis sativa L.”. However, the UPOV Test Guidelines are intended as guidance and it is necessary to consult UPOV members individually to obtain information on their procedures.

Information on existing protected varieties can be found in the UPOV PLUTO database (http://www.upov.int/pluto/en/), subject to the following qualification:

“Please note that the information concerning plant breeders’ rights provided in the PLUTO database does not constitute the official publication of the authorities concerned. To consult the official publication, or to obtain details on the status and completeness of the information in the PLUTO database, please contact the relevant authority, contact details for which are provided at http://www.upov.int/members/en/pvp_offices.html .

All contributors to the PLUTO database are responsible for the correctness and completeness of the data they supply. Users are particularly requested to note that it is not obligatory for members of the Union to supply data for the PLUTO database and, for those members of the Union who supply data, it is not obligatory to supply data for all items.”

If you wish to obtain further information, please consult the relevant plant variety protection (PVP) office in the territory concerned, contact details for which are provided at http://www.upov.int/members/en/pvp_offices.html.

Should you be interested in obtaining protection for new varieties, you may also be interested in UPOV PRISMA (“The on-line tool which helps you make applications with all participating PVP Offices via the UPOV website”) (see http://www.upov.int/upovprisma/en/index.html).

I hope that this information will be of assistance.

Best regards,
Peter Button

4 Likes