Strange Leaf Discoloration?

Thanks so much for all the great information! This is stuff that I am very much into. My grow facility inoculates with ACT and a handful of EM1 ferments as of now. I am interested in how to diversify our microbial ecosystem effectively for best production.

I was wondering if you had any resources you could site on Trichoderma, specifically on how they might not be affecting beneficial fungi detrimentally. I have seen some information that basically says since Trichoderma attack such a broad range of fungi, they can lead to beneficial fungi suppression pretty quickly and easily.

1 Like

Cody,

First of all nice name. I canā€™t get you the specifics at the moment on
trichoderma negatively effective microbial populationsā€¦One of the posts
under our vendor page has some good information on the strain of
trichoderma in our formulationā€¦i think itā€™s the care for your rhizosphere
postā€¦ I am super ā€œhazyā€ and driving through intermittent cell coverage on
my way back down to AZ from CA. I plan to log in from a computer and
provide updates and see what I have been missing on the forum. If you would
like I will PM you Dr. Flood, our microbiologist, information and I am sure
you guys could have some serious discussion and learn from each otherā€¦as
Dr. Floods background isnā€™t in cannabisā€¦but he is definitely pro cannabis
:relaxed::green_heart: We have a couple other master growers giving him feedback along the
way in trials and he loves itā€¦So I will pm you his contact info and try
giving him a call or shooting him an email. Last I heard he was in China
experimenting on field trials on other cropsā€¦he may be back now. If you
end up wanting to try some URB after talking with him let me know! Again
sorry for the ā€œshortā€ answer that isnā€™t really an answer but if you donā€™t
get to Flood I will do my best when I am better able. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hey thanks a lot! Yes, that would be amazing. Iā€™d really love to have some thorough discussions on microbiology. I do tend to trust people that are not centered as much around cannabis just because there is so much information out there that has been practiced but not peer reviewed or even approached in a scientific manner.

Iā€™m definitely not getting down on Trichoderma by the way! I think everything has its place in a healthy ecosystem, even the ā€œbad guys.ā€ I do hesitate to use too much of anything. For instance, neem meal is a great soil amendment for its nutritive properties as well as its properties as a nematicide, but it certainly doesnā€™t selectively control for only beneficials like itā€™s made out to by many companies trying to sell. However, that doesnā€™t mean it wouldnā€™t benefit your system as a whole!

Iā€™d like to have farther discussions on adding microbiology in general; how to encourage diversity while simultaneously allowing the plant to be in control of microbial populations via root exudates. For instance, is the fact that we add compost tea and bokashi potentially making it difficult for the plant to control the biological balance itself? Or is constantly adding microbiological diversity always a good thing?

In commercial production in particular, itā€™s always hard to bring in as much diversity as one should since itā€™s desirable to be on a set schedule with a set amount of inputs, which allows for simplified production models and cost analysis. But I know diversity is key! How do we achieve a compromise, ya know?

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

This is definitely the kind of thing you should be looking for first. Farm history, cultural practices, drift, etc. Things that are out of your control. Well said!

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d agree that if it happened suddenly, itā€™s more likely a lock-out than a deficiency. Or maybe some environmental thing like a soil temperature swing. Definitely check pH and get a soil sample ASAP if you can. Look for something thatā€™s too high rather than too low (if looking for lock-out factors). Off hand I would guess itā€™s Fe or S youā€™re missing. Do you use organic or synthetic nutrients? What amendments are in your soil?

Please KIT on how this goes for you! Iā€™d love to learn how youā€™ve fixed it or if itā€™s gotten worse (hopefully not).

Make sure to take my (or anyone elseā€™s) advice with a grain of salt. No one knows your situation like you do. Best of luck to you!

3 Likes

Chris,
We are all wondering if you solved your problem and if so, what the problem was. We all learn together here.
Regards,
Dennis

3 Likes

Untreated well water plus nutrient rich potting soil and manureā€¦
Could be Manganese toxicity, which becomes more aggressive with low humidity.

2 Likes

Manganese toxicity can also cause deficiencies in Fe and Zn.

1 Like

Looks different from the pictures we have seen so far.

2 Likes

Iā€™m referring specifically to the second and third pictures from OP (leaf and leafzoomed).

Certainly could be some other deficiency/toxicity but, either way, highly likely - imho- resulting from pH being off as a primary causative factor as Fe, Zn and Mn deficiencies (and toxicities?) often result from poor uptake due to high pH, no?

Would also help to know more about how the discoloration develops within a given leaf, as well as condition of the roots.

As always, anything I say should be taken with a grain (or three) of salt!

4 Likes

looks like the plants cant breathe . they are locked . yellowish not taking much up. where are you located? try some coco. it can help the plant breathe, spoon feed nutes, low rates, low npk. feed the soil. I have some volcanic ash I can send . it will help dry and at the same time hold. let me know, I am on the east coast.

2 Likes