Surf, Sea, Sand and 420 friendly in South Africa

If anyone is traveling in South Africa, through the eastern cape near Port Alfred. I would seriously suggest staying at Shaka Surf Shack if you like all of the following. Sun, sea, sand, dune surfing, long board or short board surfing, skate boarding, wildlife, rivers, sunshine, freedom!!

Shaka Surf Shack was started about 20 years ago using reclaimed building materials from around the area and what has been washed up on the coastline. Every corner has a story behind it, with art all over the place. Every little piece of this maze of chill areas, tree houses is built into the nature situated about 200 metres from the coast of Port Alfred and blue flag beaches. It has all the amenities for a chilled relaxing holiday, and the treehouse cabin is built into the trees, so you experience wildlife on your window sill with a view over the beach and dunes.

Dave, the host, is a pro surfer who also offers surf lessons for beginners to pro. Surf is normally very good in the area, 6-8ft waves that can be powerful depending where you surf. The cost per night for stay is only $17, bargain… If you interested in skateboarding, try their skate ramp built under the house, or just chill in the many chill out zones. These guys are 420 friendly, and awesome hosts with a lots of knowledge of the local areas!!! Dave is a seasoned journalist and surfer who brought huge attention through media about the Cannabis crop spraying in Transkei 5 years ago. The crop spraying has since stopped because of a huge public outcry.

I spent the morning there with Dave and a couple other surfers… It was activism in the purest. We meet at Kellys beach 6am where 5 surfers took to the water in protest of the current lockdown regulations that have been imposed for the last several months. Beaches are banned since November!!! This has killed tourism and Daves income is based on surf school and tourism , effectively making his entire livelihood illegal for months. Due to people being fined and arrested for going to the beach, I went as surfer support and watched from the shoreline surfers have an hour surf, refreshing their souls.

Loved every minute being part of this, smoked a little joint in remembrance of my mate Chippa who passed last week peacefully. Chip was a surfer and pioneer in hemp resin and started making boards and flippers using hemp fibre and resin. This is a board he made for my father about 6 years ago. Lighter, stronger, faster.

Shout if you have any questions or planning a trip to sunny South Africa.

“Live your life be free” - Dank Dave

13 Likes

That is a remarkably inexpensive rate for a days stay !! I remember in 1974 the first time I went to Jamaica the rate for a cottage 1 block off the ocean was $15.00 US way back then. I am too old and too banged up and with Rheumatoid arthritis to stiff to surf, but would love nothing better than taking a trip to Africa. I think I waited too long as now I am retired and on a fixed income. That board is simply beautiful! How much is there to do around that area that a old poor guy could afford to to if I could scrape the airfare together?

4 Likes

How much is there to do around that area that a old poor guy could afford to to if I could scrape the airfare together?

If you like the outdoors and rural living, rivers, game reserves ( The Big 6 ), blue flag beaches, art, pubs… Loads of people offer cannabis oil for arthritis to, the local doctor prescribes it to patients and we have loads are retirees from around the world living here.

This is the opposite side of Africa’s coastline, in Namibia, Skeleton Coast, but not a far drive. A surfers perfect wave. Going to try and go up to this spot within a couple years. Do a roadtrip of sort.

Outside the Wave

Inside the Wave

5 Likes

ah le sigh…

1 Like

I’m a country boy, raised outside of town 2 miles from a town of only 500 in rural Missouri. Little town called Jasper. As us country fold would say, I’m livin in the big city now lol. Where exactly is this at? In other words what airport would I fly to? If you know it what is the airport code? Mine is STL.

Just Google mapped it, beautiful medium size town! Nice size freshwater river through town too. How is the cost of living there Chris? And what is the medium RE prices? I have been thinking for a long time about becoming a ExPat to somewhere with warm weather year round.

Looks fantastic!

3 Likes

Cool, looks beautiful :v:

2 Likes

You would fly into SA via code IATA Airport Code - JNB or ICAO Airport Code - FAOR, Johannesburg International. Once you cleared customs you would catch a connecting flight to local airport “ELS” or “PLZ”, both cities ( East London and Port Elizabeth ) are 1.5 hours drive from Port Alfred.

How is the cost of living there Chris? And what is the medium RE prices?

Cost of living is getting higher due to inflation and rand/dollar. $60000 you could buy a piece of land on the beach and build a 2 bedroom house, off the grid ( a friend is doing that currently ) But its the reason we get alot of foreigners staying here, retiring. I live close to a small rural village about 16 clicks from Port Alfred, and its amazing how many foreigners live here, Swiss, Italians, Dutch, English, German, Finish, American, Scottish and Irish.

2 Likes

$60,000.00 would buy a front porch here lol. I was looking at the area via google maps, looks beautiful. When I went to check on airfares, I was surprised, only $1300 round trip. However the airline fare site also popped up a page from the SA government. No travel allowed into the country for vacation right now. My water bill in the last two years has quadrupled, and I just got a notice a week ago they want to raise it another 30% which they cannot do without going through a public utility review. I live at the confluence of the two largest rivers in the US. The Mississippi, and the Missouri rivers come together at St. Louis, MO.

3 Likes

hey Chris I hate to change the subject but that company I was telling U about was in Cannabis Profits Dailey yesterday in the lead article tiny san diego co…

2 Likes

This is going on my list!

2 Likes