Tell us about your mixed lighting array!

it blows a 1200w DE away. this should be the final nail LED needed. I ONLY GROW WITH AMARE. Many companies “claim” but dont deliver. Amare delivers. been using them for years. These lights IMHO top shelf product. Worth every penny

1 Like

I like your Voodoo sales approach :sunglasses:

2 Likes

lol what? so atteridgeville is in South Affrica. but who knows how dated that is. They have offices all over.

1 Like

For those of you mixing CMH and LED do you keep 1 higher or lower than the other? If your able to?
1 opinion I heard was to keep the LED higher than the CMH because LED penatrates deeper than the CMH.
I prefer to keep the LED closer to the plants than the LED because they are weaker , not as hot, and I want penatration at an angle further down into the plant.
LED lighsts are so different from each other ranging from bars, panels, to dense matrix chips for every imaginable condition is there right or wrong?
If my CMH is 4200K in Veg, at the same time I counter with supplemental LED favoring red or magenta 6:2 red to blue. For bloom, I swap the CMH to 3100K then flip my supplemental LED’s to purple or blue dominant.
Thank you for this topic Nick, there is very little info or data about mixing spectrums.
Over the years I tried out some great LED’s but have settled in with CMH. I hate to see my expensive LED lights sit in the box so might as well get creative and use them to my advantage.
Farmer K.

4 Likes

Do you monitor light saturation or are you trying for stronger pigmentation?

3 Likes

I want the broadest range of spectrum, quality, coverage, and everything 1 HID can’t do for me.
I can eliminate most of the shadows by positioning LED’s at an angle while the CDM is top center over a few plants.
The LED supplemental lighting is how i can raise growing temps, enegrgy w/o A/C or venting and bring conditions in ideal range for CO2.
It’s like a fine tuning my conditions for more heat/energy in addition to eveything else.

3 Likes

Very sound approach. Do you see maximum pigmentations as a byproduct of sound growing practices?

3 Likes

Ethan I have not done any side by side or have any data to see if supplemental LED lighting does anything at all.
I was hoping the professionals here could share some insight on this topic along with the guys having fun.

4 Likes

Since the cost of running the lights is not like the old HID lighting.

Here is my best educated guess. I think once the plant reaches the point of solarization, the at light adds no growth to the equation, if the temperatures are correct you should have a great aboundence of secondary pigment. Most of these pigmentations are a kind of sunscreen for chlorophyll. They can be quite striking. From a purely astetic point I think this alone would sell for a premium. The anthocyines are kind of sweet when burned. The xanthyphils taste soap like to me. But, many people describe them as bitter and earthy. Think cooked red cabbage. If the mutation for variegation is present, I spect the will show up with high light and high carbohydrate production.

You may even see an increase in other secondary plant compounds.

The only issue I might watch for is some unintended stress on the plants might actually slow down there ideal dry weight. When plants make carbohydrates faster than they can process they can slow down desired characteristics. You see this in both mums and snapdragons.

If look at the closest relative with similar metabolism, hops you see some growers try to shade there plants. To increase the amount of flower set.

The fun thing is we just don’t know enough for a definitely say one way or another.

I would expect your plants to be more compact than plants grown in the same volume. Think bonsais.

Other things I could imagine is from seeing Cannabis uncultured. Is an Amber like resins in the apex of the leaf where the abscision layer forms. This could be both good and bad. It is a pure carbohydrates and other stuff. It’s the aqueous solution is perfect for growing anything you can imagine.

I found that when plants honey like this they are on a medibolic stress. Try backing down the total light.

From some early work in Cannabis is the strong susseabily to a strong red shift in light. Bunch of publications out of Elat, Israel on red shift response. I think you can take advantage of this through flowering. Still fourcing strong grown throughout flowering. You might even see them out finish plants given more traditional dark treatments. Again, mums and peonies come to mind. In peonies center disbudding at just the right time and some extra red light causes all the auxiliary flower bud to fully develop. Think a spray of flowers.

Just monitor stress you can see it across the house. The shine will be different than you think. This is where that weird art and science come together. Another thing would be with all the photocynthis going on I would expect calcium to be your most limiting growth factor.

I think if someone mange’s to change the ployplody levels you could have some incredible dry weight with high scores in all the secondary plant compounds. I would be playing with coultizine and growth tips like the old guys did. Just ask for a prescription for an anti gout medicine. It is very toxic but very worth the effort. Hartman’s early addition of vegetative propagation has some good bucket chemistry methods.

CO2 can also be plant toxic. I think you could monitor ethylene and know if your ethylene numbers spike cut the CO2 and light back. Banana holding facilities have world class ethylene control methods.

I don’t understand enough of the post harvest physiology in Cannabis to give any down side effects.

Today I would look at proxair as my CO2 vendor. Buy the b grade CO2 very inexpensive. We used CO2 generators from natural gas, but they get odd when the CO2 levels are above 600ppm. The efficiency would go way down.

Also remember some people are more sensitive to high CO2 levels. Children and people with compermised respiratory systems.

I would love to know the changes in total weight from planting through finish. You should see some interesting numbers. May actually be a useful KPM.

Will you keep use posted?

3 Likes

Some of the old work done hold the keys to the future. Why reinvent the wheel when only the adition of a new baring is needed.

Nelson Coons production diaries have been filled with valuable insight. He documented 50 years of production. A small observation he made let a later generation disingenuous predictor mites from two spotted mites. With this knowledge the diagnostic guys could identify the type of mites just from the reflected light. Cool tricks from old growers.

3 Likes