Testing - field, site, lab

Do you do your testing in house with your own device, or do you send it to a lab for testing?

1 Like

We send it to a lab. Cannalysislabs.com, they are local & do good work.

2 Likes

@rhclifford - it sounds like you should be involved in this discussion. Looking forward to hearing what Shimadzu Scientific Instruments can provide.

2 Likes

GC or GCMS is not the best method for measuring cannabinoids because the acid form such as THCA are converted to THC because of the decarboxylation due to the heat of the GC. Therefore the GC method can only report “Total THC” since it can’t distinguish THC from THCA. Similarly CBD and CBDA can’t be distinguished as is the same for CBG and CBGA. The gold standard for determining these cannabinoids is HPLC which doesn’t utilize a hot heat source like GC. Shimadzu is introducing a “Cannabis Analyzer for Potency” based on HPLC methods. The HPLC system can be installed and up and running the next day. Best of all it doesn’t need a chemist to run the instruments. The high throughput method can analyze 10 cannabinoids under 8 minutes. This was developed in collaboration with industry laboratories. There is also a high sensitivity methods for analysis of 11 cannabinoids in under 10 minutes with the additional of THCV. Shimadzu also sells instruments for analysis of terpenes, pesticides screening, residual solvents, heavy metals, moisture content, mycotoxins and a lot more. Recommend you go to www.growyourlab.com.

2 Likes

Nathan,

Thanks, I have responded.

Sincerely,

Bob Clifford, Ph.D.
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments
General Manager, Marketing
rhclifford@shimadzu.commailto:rhclifford@shimadzu.com
800-477-1227 x1822
410-381-1227 x1822

3 Likes

@rhclifford - Thanks for that great info Bob, your website has some excellent resources and materials. I am just working through some of your PDF’s now. Very interesting.

1 Like

We have a Colorado state-licensed laboratory for all of your testing needs.

If you are a licensed business and would like more information, please send us a message, visit http://www.cmtlaboratory.com, or give us a call at 303-292-3800.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info @cmtlabs - what sort of testing do you offer?

2 Likes

@nicholas Thanks for your question!

We do potency testing, residual solvent analysis, terpenoid profiling, shelf stability testing (pH and water activity), and microbiological screening (total yeast and mold, E. coli, and salmonelle).

Our lab director is also on the Pesticide Testing Working Group, so we’ll be able to roll that out as soon as the industry here does.

4 Likes

does this really work ? and is it accurate?

2 Likes

This is really the only portable, cheap, easy to use and consistent way to quantify cannabinoids that doesn’t require a laboratory or laboratory training. Cannabis laboratories are not using these to deliver results because the methods are not ISO validated/certified (yet) - but some are using them in couple with GC and HPLC and results are good.

The approach of MyDx is different, chemical-fingerprint based analysis. (As a software guy) It seems like a good idea to me, but the data is still not large enough yet.

3 Likes

What do you mean?

GC-MS / HPLC are the industry’s gold standards for testing samples, regardless of whether you’re in cannabis or urine sampling. It’s the most reliable and efficient method.

http://landing.steephill.com/whitepaper this has been published timely!

4 Likes

This line was particularly interesting:
Cannabinoid content can easily vary by over 5% (e.g. from 13-18%) in the flowers of a single plant - more, if grown indoor.

I wonder if that has relevance to the issue that @caribbeangreen is having with different samples from the same plant returning different results.

2 Likes

I’ve messed around with the MyDx, and it’s pretty much garbage. The thing tested an empty cartridge at 19%, a lab testing 12% strain at 21%, grass from my front lawn at 18%. I wouldn’t trust anything that comes from that device.

4 Likes

@caseyrootz didn’t you try out the MyDx and experience similar results?

3 Likes

I’m not too surprised by that. Most chemical testing equipment is significantly more expensive and requires more scientific training to use properly.

I had so much hope that the unit would at least be consistently off. We have tested multiple batches and compared results with our lab data and 8 times out of 10 the results were way off. We have a CBD variety that tests at 22.5% from multiple lab tests and the MYDX tests at 23% THC. I have emailed the company to make them aware of the data and have not heard anything back. At this point i would not recommend purchasing the MYDX unit for testing cannabinoids. I am interested in the other units they sell but have not tried any besides the cannabis testing. Hope this helps

6 Likes

@caseyrootz thanks for following up, this is super helpful to other members! By the way, you should definitely start a new topic about the organization you are working with to increase sustainable farming in the cannabis industry. I know that other members would benefit greatly from learning more about that organization. And perhaps they can get involved too!

1 Like

@cannalyticssupply just joined the community. They offer test kits that might be another alternative for you to try @caribbeangreen:
http://www.cannalyticssupply.com/

3 Likes