The Future of Automation for the Cannabis Industry

As some of the facilities we build get larger and larger, we’re getting more sophisticated equipment to help handle their scale. We’ve now a Priva dealer and started getting our certification. Companies like Priva, Argus, Horti-Max, etc… are really the going to be the next step up of total environmental control for 10,000+ sq. ft. facilities, including water, HVAC, lighting, nutrient fertigation, etc…

Here are a few videos that show off its abilities. Anyone out there currently thinking about making the jump to these big-ag type technologies?

5 Likes

Thanks for the info Nate!

2 Likes

I’m legitimately interested in where the automation technology is going. We may see robots in the future managing plants individually – that would be something.

2 Likes

This is happening quite extensively in cannabis already! If you’re not able to grow with the big players and compete competitively on price point, you better find your niche…

I work in a smaller, very hands-on grow. I truly think we’re headed in the right direction within the limitations of our facility, which means each plant gets worked with every day; and as a result, our quality and consistency is becoming something truly special! Of course, we’re also expanding :wink:

It’s a good industry to be in! All the technologies for big operations have been around quite some time, though they are of course always advancing. It’s easy (I’m stretching that word a bit) to go that direction with the right people and the right investors.

5 Likes

Come to Holland or go to the big greenhouses and see what else can be automated - from selecting seedlings to potting to pruning to harvesting :wink:

5 Likes

If I come to Holland again, I’d prefer we just talk about automation in a coffee shop (unfortunately The Rokery is closed and I never liked The Bulldog) or by the windmills in Zaanse Schans!

4 Likes

Hi guys,

I’m Jon, founder of “Bloom Automation”, a company dedicated to help automate commercial grows utilizing robotics. Our first planned product is a robotic trimmer that handles just-harvested branches of wet cannabis. Although just in its infancy, the robot currently trims with results similar to a human (buds still on branch)-- it utilizes cameras to determine how to trim. That said, much development is necessary to bring it to the efficiency of a human (or better).

I’d love your opinions regarding where you could most use automation in your cultivation. We realize hand trimming is arduous and expensive, and machine trimming can easily damage flowers, thus the robotic trimmer. That said, we thought we’d reach out to try and get a cultivator opinion.

Would very much appreciate your opinions here, and if you could fill out this survey, that’d be a bonus! https://goo.gl/forms/SFxM8M6oCCM0CIgz1

Thanks!

4 Likes

I personally think that it’s inevitable. And sooner than we might think, AI driven automation is scary close!

2 Likes

Agreed - it’s going to be a big disruption once whole swaths of the transportation industry get automated. Not just drivers, but all the associated industries like feeding and supporting long haul truckers. Fortunately this industry is growing at a huge rate to help bring more local jobs online.

3 Likes

There’s definitely going to be some serious growing pains if we don’t change our systems to allow for these new technologies.

2 Likes

Forbes just did an article around automation in the industry:

4 Likes

That’s pretty sweet! Both Debra and I spoke with Todd from @hardcarsecurity about these robots. You can read about them in our latest article.

4 Likes

What would you want for automation for climate control? What would be most helpful (improvements over what’s already out there)?

3 Likes

Look at Hummerts International for a big list of environmental controls. Hummert environmental controls for greenhouse.

1 Like

Hi all,

We are finalizing our solution for monitoring and controlling grow operations - Smart Qubix. The solution is a joint venture involving my IT company (we specialize in developing solutions for the healthcare industry) and a Dutch manufacturer/supplier of precision agriculture solutions.

Our solution allows you to keep an eye on your key grow parameters or automate devices based on those parameters or a scheduler. We have also incorporated a Growlog that allows users to schedule reminders and keep a record of key tasks and work flows. You can check out a demo version of the software here. In addition, we would love to learn more about how you grow and what type of monitoring and automation could be interesting for you? Look forward to hearing from you!

Andor

2 Likes