The Trellis Project

Sure no problem though there isn’t a lot to see back there; probably the most interesting bit is still in progress and that is the odd habit I have noticed since starting this that at some point limbs stop growing towards the light and start actually weaving in and out of the chicken wire, kind of like I head ivy does. But sure, pics on tap tomorrow morning after lights-on (circa 08:00 pacific). On YouTube I am just jeffcobb I think,

Jeffs YouTube page

Warning though, I have dementia and my brain goes in many directions so if I made something that makes anyone feel uncomfortable, I apologize. In the same way I view my personal website more as a document storage, my YouTube is kind of a video storage for me, no plan or strategy…and some of the video jokes on there are things only another person with dementia will laugh at but hey what can I say…

7 Likes

As requested, a few shots behind one of the trellis rigs. The really interesting ones are in the back and the back of those I can’t get at so hope this will do. Have larger rez but my Internet is flaked so using my cellphone as a hotspot and its SLOOOOW BABY! So here are those pics and just a simple one of the Citrus Sap starting to flower…always loved this stage…

7 Likes

I like what you are doing. I would love to see a video of you Trelissing a A plant. If over several days can show what you do with it on a daily basis until fully finished. Thank You.

4 Likes

You are right, had feeling in my gut I should show that better and as of right now I have no need or plants left that haven’t been trellised yet so I can write down steps and sorta describe the process and then next crop do more in depth video…

I shall see what I can do to document the rest. Any questions or suggestions in that direction can help…

8 Likes

thank you. I will wait and look forward to it.

5 Likes

@lbdwarrior have you thought about doing this outside? I know its not possible for yourself but has the thought crossed your mind? Here is my idea. A cow panel bowed up. Plants at each end.

The plant in the middle was already there. Was making a shield for it then idea came to me. I love pot! The plant was getting burnt leaves for being outside.

6 Likes

Actually that would work fine I think. In the middle of stage/version 2 I had ideas about going outside with my act but got sick at the wrong time and by the time I was able, I guess climate change had other ideas because we got hit with so many freak extremes for a while that it would have killed anything I stuck out there…but if you had the space and the land, give it a go and let me know how it comes out… What would also be an interesting datapoint is to trellis two of the same strain, from the same seed batch or clones if possible, but then putting one outside and let one go inside so they finish in tandem…the results could be very very interesting…I think so anyways. I think there is a chance that if you did this you might find:

• The increase in yield outside may not be as much as the increase of yield inside
  • Looking at it another way though, you might see/have/record definitive proof that it allows you to get outside yields inside.
  • Finishing times/dates may not match with the outside plant taking slightly longer…
6 Likes

That would be awesome but only outside grow this summer. Can’t afford to cool the extra room. But will keep updated. Probably start a thread on my outside grow soon.

4 Likes

Sort of update: my internet access is crippled right now making anything but the simplest posts an exercise in pain. Expect to have it back in a few days when a needed but of gear arrives, until then here is a Citrus Sap just flowering that I took this morning when watering…

6 Likes

That’s a beautiful lady! :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Just a little one but they all start out that way. Actually the next two weeks will be the most amazing of the entire grow as this is when the wall o bud forms. Over the past ten days I have been pinning down select branches and now is the time when I start letting them all start growing sideways towards the light…that’s when things get really interesting.

5 Likes

Be sure to document everything with pictures please! I love visual aids.

And thanks for your posts… loads of information! :nerd_face:

7 Likes

No problem…but as much of this is old hat for me it is new for many and I just don’t know what ppl want to see here. Thus if you can suggest what would be useful for you and others I can happily make it happen, otherwise I just take random pictures…

5 Likes

Just take pictures as you work your magic, to explain the steps you’re taking, so we get to ‘’follow along’’. Step by step is ideal to facilitate understanding, for thick people like me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hmmm. Well as non-specific as that was, OK I will try. See my problem with that is you guys (and gals, not a sex thing) are all so experienced and stuff and so I worry posting stuff that is too fundamental so I tend to skip what I think everyone knows and therefore would be bored by seeing more of it.

That said, aside from things specific to the trellis the things I do on a daily basis are the same things everyone does everyday; I water (feed), drain the run-off, maybe reposition the odd light or two but thats it. Which is how I prefer my grows as hands-free as possible. Right now “grow chores” take no more than 20 minutes and probably 10 minutes of that is just waiting for the Hempy buckets to finally drain…

I guess with this method there are three actual periods of “intense” work, obviously from germination thru second set of leaves->transplant to pot that it will stay in for life is the first, the second is when the veg-to-bloom period happens and I take a day per plant and pin down all of the main branches, making sure not to pinch or otherwise smoosh your branches in back between the plant and the trellis. I use anything and everything to pin them from zip ties and bread wrapper wire ties to using an experimental kind of tie-down I have been working on. Once you have them pinned, over the next week the plants start to adapt to the new setup and some branches that were playing nice before will now reach our the front to the lights. These are just pinned back as they appear and most of that ends by the end of stretch. The last big push of course is harvest (and RSO processing in my case) but the whole rest of the time is putting about, I water once a day (with food of course) and suction out the overflow from the Hempy buckets with turkey basters. Thats it; lather, rinse, repeat. A simple system for a simple grower…

8 Likes

Being quite new at this, I like detailed info. If it’s something I know already, that helps as a reminder… and I can always skip to the ‘’good’’ parts… it’s all interesting to me! :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Greetings one and all. The project is continuing fine as is my internet access is continuing to suck ALL of the ass right out of the atmosphere. However I got the new modem sitting before me but must wait for the next spell of clarity to hit before I can actually plug it in and make it anything more than a drink coaster, which it is as I write this. Hey, its at least functional ATM, more than I can say about me of late.

While posting pictures right now thru my phone is a cast-iron bitch in shorts, I can share the sum total of the daily routine for the grow. This routine will remain the same for the next 6 weeks (tomorrow is the end of the third week of bloom, placing it near the end of stretch) and barring disaster (natural or otherwise) we get to see one of the more interesting phases of trellis growing, clipping the end product from the trellis at harvest time. It is at this moment that what was actually going on in the grow becomes revealed; be prepared to be shocked, amazed and amused, it will all be there.

For one thing you will find limbs that may be 18 inches long or better but are no thicker (or stiffer) than 18 inches of string, branches that normally would not have a chance in hell of holding themselves up, even if they had no buds at all. What you WILL find however is these normally limp and useless limbs with full, round and solid buds for you to harvest. In fact I would say that harvesting a trellis can be very deceptive when you look at it and try to estimate how long it will take, mostly because you keep finding budsites in places where there simply normally arenn’t any so you don’t expect them…

The other sort of interesting thing to me anyways was, while I did tie down most if not all of the limbs that were initially big enough to do so, Beth and I are always kinda tripping when we go to get this off of the trellis and find that in addition to the ones we tied down, the plant itself trellised a good number of limbs! You will find they became more like ivy I think and actually weave themselves in and our of the chicken wire and not always in the direction of light and/or gravity…the times we have seen it it was so unexpected and our hands were full harvesting that we never took a pic, but this time around I promise it will be here bcause I can already see it happening in places and by my clock we have 6 weeks to go, give or take…

But I promised the day-to-day…well, the day-to-day for this is no more complicated than any Hempy setup.

My Daily Grow Chores:

1. Open both tents, start music, preferable some Satch.
  2. After a quick scan to make sure nothing horrible happened in the night (who doesn’t have those feelings?) I use a turkey baster to siphon out any residual liquid that had drained into the clear plastic dishes the Hempy buckets sit in.
  3. Open the bloom nutrients; if low, make some and balance pH.
  4. Stick 1 gallon of nutrients into each Hempy (8 total)
  5. While waiting for drain, make any adjustments to the rigs, plants or lighting. The plants can start to grow in ways where I can see them crowd each other or something and so I kind of “comb” the limbs down and back to the trellis, tying them down if needed. I have a 100ft roll of that green wire hanging in a dispenser between the tents, just for this purpose.
  6. Anything that is draining, siphon off excess with turkey baster and dispose of in a bucket in each tent for the purpose.
  7. Any plants not draining yet get another half gallon each, followed by a 5 minute wait (I can always find something to fool with in the plants, cant you?) and then go to 6.
  8. Once all are draining and have been drained, shut off the tunes, zip of the tents and go have a doobie.

Only real deviation to this is once a week instead of nutrients I have another smaller rez handy of plain, clear, pH balanced water. This I use to flush the plants as well as I can. I am still getting used to the Hempy bucket thing and last time around I had some that seemed to be starving in bloom yet had penty of water/food but drank none of it. Needed a flush, had some lockout but regardless afterwards I flushed them and immediately they ate and came back to life. Problem: solved. Now once a week I do a flush.

So this is my day, my week and basically any time I am not either starting a new crop, trying a crop down or doing a harvest, I am doing this which is damned-near nothing which is precisely what I was shooting for. Being a Fuck-off while still delivering a quality product is a skill like any other…

Lets see what I can throw up here…OK me doing my part with my mask…

gasmask_sm

8 Likes

Love the mask! I want Darth Vader.

7 Likes

It’s a bitch to light if you are practicing social distancing. Hey! Brilliant idea! Let’s make and sell Socially distance conscious 6 ft bongs!!! Oh man this has win written all over it!

7 Likes

OK got my internet back, here is my status update for week 3 of the Trellis Prj. Nothing special to report, the grow is going as-expected, wall o bud forming nicely…will add to this when I get the mental energy. In the mean time, chew on this…

9 Likes