The Trellis Project

Absolutely Amazing! Compared to mine. Lol. I will learn!

5 Likes

Glad someone likes it and something came up this morning that, since you are trying this technique yourself, you may want to take a look at. It (accidentally) challenges accepted grow wisdom about a few things…there is/was an unexpected…feature? Side-effect? Not sure of right word…something anyways that happens as a result of this technique revealed something odd and maybe useful…like most things, completely by accident. I started another thread there on it but you might see this yourself before anyone else does. If so I would like to know your thoughts when you do…

Other thread

3 Likes

I try to document any odd-seeming behavior, good or bad I observe while this is going on and this morning I noticed another oddity I had not seen in previous traditional grows. Check out the tops on this Citrus Sap:

The thing that struck me is:
A. I only topped that plant once; in fact my tremors and eye-sight was so bad that day I barely FIMmed it.
B. Can’t see in picture but each of those tops in circles goes straight down almost to mid-plant. It almost looks like it grew like a bouquet.
C. This is not the only plant I have noticed this on.

Just a datapoint…sharing what I see. makes me wonder exactly how much or little topping multiple times would have worked out…maybe great, maybe it would have made no difference in the end.

6 Likes

Greetings One and All; today saw a semi-scheduled clear-water flush happen. I try to do it weekly but if I forget I always do one on the day I have to refill/mix the 33 gallon rez so that happened today. Wall O Bud continues to form nicely, and oh yeah I implemented that crazy oscillating light trick to one of the tents today. Basically swapped the extra Philzone/whatever light with one of the Mars units, then attached that to my stoutest desktop fan, rewired a few things and we are off to the raced…this could be huge for me and now I have designs on some cast-off pedestal fans I have in storage…

7 Likes

Update: this is 2 days after I changed one tent to use the oscillating light trick and one since I did Tent #2 yesterday and already I am observing a noticeable improvement…

6 Likes

That is so Awesome! Great job!

5 Likes

Very Kool set up and very nice plants. :+1:
Can’t wait to see them fatten up. :v:

4 Likes

Great journal!

I have run quite a few trellis grows.
If you have any questions about mine please feel free to ask

7 Likes

Greetings and nice SCRoG you have there. Fiddled with that some time back and it works but you are forced to dedicate your entire grow to it. Not saying its a plus because I just don’t know but this way you can choose to trellis or not-trellis on a plant-by-plant basis. This opens up the idea of using this as part of the continuous harvest method of which I am also a fan. IOW you can introduce new plants at any time regardless of the stages of any other plants in there so if you need to rotate stock in and out, things like traditional SCRoG need not apply unless each plant had its own SCRoG screen. And as stated (someplace, I think) one of the other stated goals was to figure out a sustainable way to grow a plant indoors larger than you normally could, idea being it would lead to more medicine, hence the 7-foot CB Diesel plant last time around.

All of that said I would love to ask questions simply because I developed this in a kind of vaccuum and had no one to ask anything of. My few grow peers were all traditionalists and so the first word out of their mouth when I explained my plan from a whiteboard drawing: “that is insane”.

However even the differences of our methods aside, in all truth I really don’t know what to ask…I tried to make it clear elsewhere but this has been an evolving idea/project over several grows and tests…the key thing being, its never been the same thing twice. I try something, note the results, rejigger the plan for next time, test, note results, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat. So the main questions that I SHOULD be asking I can’t yet because I don’t know whats happening next time, if there even is one…as for the current go, am pretty locked into a course right now and I suspect any 11th-hour changes of plan might derail the whole thing.

Now with that out of the way, how you could help is:

• I have tried to make clear how and why I am doing each bit. If you see a problem coming as a result of something, pls sing out, let me know.

• In a related vein, I do try to document this, not just for the forum or my website but for my wife who is my caregiver as the brain goes south and also becoming the house bud-tender. So documentation now is vital…and like I said, I try to grab what seems important but thinking is not clear these days so if you see something that could use explaining or better photos, pls let me know, it would be one of the single-most tangible forms of help you could provide because I don’t have a dozen grows ahead to get it all worked out myself…

6 Likes

I don’t run Scrog nets like that anymore. Thing of the past for me now. I mainly only train with trellis netting in the vegetative phase now and remove it during flower

I’ll sure try

5 Likes

Since to arc of the light wasn’t quite large enough, I strapped on another cheap 120w pane; to if it makes a difference…

Otherwise things are going well, buds-a-poppin everywhere, still got a long ways to go though, I think like June 20 or so is the target date for this batch…

5 Likes

Slight update, everything going to plan (such as there is a plan) but replaced the desktop fan that was oscillating a single 600w panel with a tower fan like the other tent and now have two panels hanging from it for a total of just over 2500w (well, you know) in each tent. As if I needed to kick it up a notch, last night the missus and I dropped an order for a pair of 2000w full spectrum panels, due in about 10 days…thats when things will get really crazy…but for now, I took this shorty vid to get a glimpse of both oscillating lights going, I killed 1200 of the watts just for the pics but this is a hard thing to shoot…

3 Likes

Hey Listen I wanted to add a few things here; this is a journal, not an advert for something and the only reason to do this is so others can see and learn. And the only time that really has value is if you share the bad as well as the good, the missteps as well as the dance steps. Finally I have tried to stress that while I have done this core technique before a few times, every one is different, “new and improved” when I learn from previous mistakes. And I am not f-ing God either so I can guess all day long how it might come out but only know for sure when I try something and it either works or doesn’t…so its important to show not just the wins and lucky breaks, you should see it all.

To that end:

1. Plant count. Last time I stuck (trellis-wise) to one plant per pot per trellis and it worked out well, this time I decided to see how much I could jam into a single trellis/pot combo. this isn’t as crazy as it sounds…first, I am now pretty convinced that the fact that the trellis basically relieves the plant of the stress of holding its (big-assed) self up, more energy is put to budding. Since the plant’ needs way less stability, it grows less of a rootball and therefore can use a smaller grow container. So this time was about seeing just how much I could stick into each pot/trellis to see if it made enough difference to make it worth it, to see what runs out first, the trellis space or the root space. Anyhow thats why I did it and though we are not anywhere near harvest I am now convinced that while this will produce a buttload of bud, it is overkill and the technique works best with one plant per trellis…I think the upshot I noticed is that yes this is more, yes nothing exactly horrible is happening because of it, but I also know that I can do nearly as well with a single plant, if the last few grows have been any indication. So while I will get more, I won’t get that much more to make the other crap I have to do worth it. Pinning three plants to a trellis is way harder than one. So…starting next crop, thats the song: 1-1-1.
  • There seems to be a kind of…faux wisdom that more light is always better, no such thing as too much and that LEDs remove any real need for distancing as you would with anything else. OK first I have…“burned” plants to hell and back with cool, plain grow LEDs, just too much and the plant was too saturated. I have seen too much purple wipe out plants with taco leaf. I have seen plants burned to shit with no heat at all. So there is a chance to do too much with the light game. Now in my grows this time I have re-arranged the status quo, got the plants on the walls and the fans/lights in the middle shooting out…some are oscillating…however. For relatively few plants, each tent is rocking so much light that I need to be concerned, keep an eye on it for the first signs of stress. I can get away with alot in my grows but when it comes to accidentally stressing flowering plants, fate likes to treat me like a baby treats a diaper.

So with all these upgrades I am watching these like a hawk…and already I am seeing the effects. The buds are reacting well and positively but the fanleaves are showing signs of burn, not a lot, not yet but they are…and there is NO heat in that tent, I keep cool air coming in and hot is all blasted outside, left over from my days of using HPS…

So keeping an eye on things and like I said, wanted to share the bad with the good so anyone looking at using this technique will be doing it with open eyes…

5 Likes

Just for a change of pace, here is a little something from my Padawan Learner Budtender (aka the missus). She helped out with chores this morning and captured some photos of our strange grow that I would like to share…us folks that normally take such pics always seem to take the same ones, after a fashion so since Beth is more from a normal world of photography, I figured she has perspectives and sees things we ignore…here they are…

6 Likes

The missus did great! I love the first one… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey, fair warning: the grow is really starting to show its uniqueness and we agreed there is no way to properly capture what’s going on so…tomorrow’s grow chores will feature us pulling all fans and lights out of the way and then capturing as good a photo sphere as possible so folks can get a feel of being here. Will do my best but the better photosphere calls for some serious eye hand coordination I may or may not possess 12 hours from now. If it works though will capture the insides of each tent in something like 3D…

3 Likes

OK hope this works; click into the links to get the full effect. These are a pair of photospheres I hacked out while doing watering this am to give a feel for what it feels like to stand in the center of either of my tents…
Tent 1:
Google Photos
Tent 2:
Google Photos

EDIT: OK you may have to click into them a few layers to get the thing going but its worth it…

8 Likes

Oh and BTW, think I have had the craziest brainstorm for this new tent layout yet…stay tuned for about another week or so…from one perspective this might look crazy as shit but once you see it and think about the applications given new lighting methods…the possibilities are endless.

stay tuned dance fans!

4 Likes

@lbdwarrior I have just quickly scrolled to the bottom to really thank you for all the content you have provided. You are a wonderful, informed, caring, sharing guy and a top fellow toker. :grinning: Right that’s my quick thanks and i will now scroll back up to continue reading the fascinating Trellis project. PS Love your vids too.

3 Likes

You are going to make me blush! I take that as high compliment because while I have worn many hats in this lifetime, none has fit my head as much as that of teacher. Only got to teach a few semesters of programming before I moved to another state but as low as the pay was for that, I loved every second of it and in fact even 20-some years later, I was looking forward to retirement not so I could slow down, but rather I could live out a kind of life-dream I had which would be free to teach at a local school for free.

And after all, what are these journals if not excellent teaching mediums? I almost said for the next generation but that would have been inadequate; it doesn’t matter what generation you are or how much you think you know, there is always someone who knows something that you do not. Keeps one humble if you believe it in your heart. Anyhow I am doing this journal for that reason; while there are a few actual experiments in play this time around, my lab experimenting has gone down alot. And in all transparency, I have a brain thing going on and wasn’t really looking to make any long-term relationships so my journal here is as much a surprise to me as it may be to anyone. In point of fact though it is very satisfying to know the work is worth it to someone. So I thank you amigo! I feel honored.

And in the kind of teachers-teacher-trick, there is also a less-obvious, buried but powerful lesson here for those that can hear or see it: What I assume most readers of this journal are familiar with is the standard methods of growing, at least a crop under their belt. What I show here is very different by some standards and very very different by others, which is fine, perfect in fact. Because the alert student will observe this unusual grow produce at the very least an acceptable crop and compare and contrast how this method works with how standard grows work…the commonalities (things that exist in both models) are probable grow truths or actual solid grow wisdom they can keep for themselves so that in time they too might either extend existing methods in some new and novel way or come up with something completely on their own, using the core wisdom they have learned from this and every other grow experience they have had to date in order to create a more perfect grow method, the Holy Grail for us home growers…and that at the end of the day is the final, most fundamental thing for the student to learn and the grower to know: The so-called Perfect Grow Method is a myth, each grower must adapt the needs of the grow to the needs of his or her personal situation. So what works for one barely works for the next and absolutely never is a one-size fits-all. That doesn’t mean the pursuit of it is folly; after all, thats how we grow to live, we learn to grow, not just pot but as …farmers for lack of better words…and by being more than we were before, we are all better for it.

Yeah, I remember when I smoked my first joint…

5 Likes