The Trellis Project

Good morning. I’m catching up on your journal. Can’t sleep and just noticed its almost 420. Fire it up! Lol sorry got distracted.
I’ve sprouted 2 plants Royal Cheese and Jack Herrer. Those will be my Trellis project for outside. I’m also comparing Nutes. Fox Farms vs. Grow key.

Question… Have you started the trellising before flower? Could I train mine to trellis during veg. Right away. Wouldn’t I’d be like LST?
I’m not an art major lol.
What do you think?
Sorry I haven’t communicated on a regular basis. I suffer from depression and anxiety and there are days that I barley get by. I’m very thankful to have distractions like growing Cannabis. I really enjoy your journal so Thank You!

7 Likes

OK in no particular order:

• I have trellised plants at various stages of development, from being a “tween” in veg to as far as 3 weeks into bloom. Its easier when younger, no doubt about that but I had a White Widow get away from me a time or two ago and nearing end of stretch I could tell it was too much for my tent and would only get worse in the remaining 6 weeks of flower so I quickly hacked a trellis together for it and strapped it down. That now that one I admit to doing a little more slowly over two or three days to help reduce the shock/stress I was putting it thru…(side note: we need a “Shock and Awe” article on plant stress and how to use it to your benefit)…the younger ones are easier to do and maybe as importantly, easier to do well

So I thought I mentioned elsewhere on your cow panel idea that it would probably work great and while I don’t know the first strain so well, Jack Herrer is probably close to perfect for this and I will be SO interested in seeing how this comes out for many reasons I can go into later if anyone is bored. And your artwork is fine; you should see the nightmarish crap that springs from my whiteboard…

4 Likes

Thank you @lbdwarrior for your informative and detailed reply as always and you are so right about us all having to adopt our grow to our circumstances. I live in a crappy council flat in a tower block in Gr Britain and I have to be very careful with smell, power draw etc. I have a few grows under my belt but it’s been a long long road to gain my experience and I’m getting pretty clued up and confident now thanks to my experience and guys like you lbdwarrior.
I love talking plants and I got 4 beautiful white widow big bud on the grow into 7 1/2 weeks of flower and they will be ready very soon. I will post pics of the harvest in a couple of weeks and link you guys in. Keep up the good work lbdwarrior and thanks again bud. :grinning: :v:
A quick pic of my girls seven weeks and 1 day into flower.

7 Likes

Hi @fifth and hope you are good bud. :smiley:
Just a thought could you not put your girls inside the semi circle? Make the cow panel with a smaller arc and put your girls inside and in the middle and support your girls when they grow up and out. It’s the Trellis project but inside your frame inside of outside.

2 Likes

If I may chime in here, the intended purpose (my “design goal” to put a lofty term on it) was to spread the plant out flat on a surface such that all buds will catch the same exact light, air, etc. If he did them on the outside of the cow panel, they would be “facing” the sun which is IMO the main reason for going outside, one of them anyways. Inside the circle they would not catch the light nearly as well I would think…just guessing here. Now if he grew them inside to point the buds outside, he has in effect created a SCRoG situation which if thats what you want, bingo you got it. But its not this technique and I would happy wager that between the two methods, the outside I think takes less work over less time and (just gut feeling of seeing piles of bud, nothing weighed) at least the same yield at the end of the day. I know others will disagree and thats fine; I am a human being and when my pile of bud took less time and energy to make and is of good quality, of course my pile looks bigger! :slight_smile: :rofl: :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Here is an attempt at an update, mostly just to point out an oddity with my setup…I realized I have two tents, each is a standard Apollo 4x8x6 ft tent. In each tent are four pots each. Each pot has between 2 and 3 Citrus Saps going it in (and are 3.5 gallon Hempy Buckets, not that it matters) with the plants splattered all over the trellis rigs (and some sticking out now but thats fine and to be expected at this stage). What got me was this: I 10 plants in one tent and 11 in the other all mid-bloom and I STILL have room for more in each tent, if the lights are pulled to the ceiling you can just walk through these tents there is so much extra floor space. At a minimum it makes airflow and better light coverage easier but still…21 plants in space build for about 8…and there is room left over…not saying its a cool or good thing, just that its a thing I guess…

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’m with @Ibwarrior. I’m gonna set the plants about 3ft. from cow panel and LST with chicken wire so they spread while veg. Then as it gets close to flower They will be trained and craw right up the ch wire and cow panel. Can’t wait to get it set. Start on getting panel and ch wire set probably Monday. Seedlings still have time till they go outside so I can fiddle with it. I create with my hands. No studying and drawings, just look and move, look and move.
Good thing I’m not working right now. Will have it figured out before I go to work. Oh and by the way I’m a female. Lol i know its hard to tell with the name. No big deal.
Oh a m other thing it will be set E W so one side gets all sun in the am then other side get all sun in the pm.

4 Likes

Oops sorry if I goofed; I have long since given up on telling the difference in handles and just…everyone gets “dude” until told otherwise…far as your plan goes, sounds solid as they come, wish I was there to watch it. One thing this has taught me is it takes very little variation in the actual method to produce starkly different results, so each little tweak to the plan now can make a big difference come harvest…there is no “One True Way” to do this; I have now done it three different ways on three different grows and I know I haven’t scratched the surface here. And Fifth, pay super-special attention to how things grow on their own once this starts, once the trellising bit is more or less finished. I mean you are always tweaking or adjusting a little something but once the big work is done, watch and observe how the plants grow like this to see how something odd they do now can be leveraged into a bonus of some kind next time around…I can promise these will grow very differently and in some ways unexpectedly…so make note of it when they do…

3 Likes

Thats interesting because I think right now I am indirectly helping someone else from your fair city as well. Seems a brother of a lady in a Beading class the wife attends is trying to get a grow going and somehow the sister saw our grow, one thing led to another and…well anyways, your Widows look fantastic; I did White Widow myself for the first time the last grow or so. They took to the trellis well as I recall…that was one that got too big too fast and was in danger of outgrowing my grow space so I hacked out a fast trellis and strapped its ass down…it seem to like it or at least thrive so, yay.

3 Likes

Nice one @lbdwarrior its basically a scrogg- sorry. And @fifth I can’t wait to see how this goes it’s different. Will be following this close and you guys n girls are gems. I love reading your posts with the headphones on with a big jay. Happy growing. :grinning:

2 Likes

Heh. And you don’t see me with my camera (phone) in one hand, hand-vape with some my fresh ground Tahoe Cure and (when not recording sound) serious tunes blasting away. Working in there provides and almost therapeutic calm for me. I used to call it “Harvest Therapy”…

Google Photos

6 Likes

Ha ha n Wow those are beautiful buds my bud. Every time I open my tent I feel positive energy.

3 Likes

Yeah Harvest Therapy I like that very much. Sorry @lbdwarrior still catching up with your posts (my mate just rang me) you buzz with content. :v:

3 Likes

… awww thank you @lbdwarrior for saying my widows are looking good and it means alot coming from a grower like yourself. Maybe I should have done some LST, but I’m still learning and will prob do that next time. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Cheers and my dirty little secret (feeds into the mythos that Jeff is a Lazy Git) that harvest is 10x easier for me than you or almost anyone else for the simple reason that basically my grow is, in all seriousness, medicine and the best way I can regulate and monitor my meds is to turn it all into RSO (Rick Simpson Oil), which is basically wax that you can eat because its been decarbed, thus allowing your digestion to receive activated THCa I think it is. Single dose and the meds last all day at a nice even linear discharge rate.

Why did I just bore you with all that shit? Well because when you use your flower for RSO you:

• No longer need a slow dry so fast in the oven is fine if you need to; I live in desert so shit is dry in two, three days tops anyhow…
  • No need for a cure for the same reason so another block of time and effort skipped.
  • Since we are chemically extracting the meds, only the roughest of trims is required and can go quite fast if need-be.
  • Hell I don’t really even need to flush if I want. After all it gets turned to oil, frozen in pills and then each day, down the gullet, no taste (thank gawd, RSO tastes like poop)
6 Likes

Well its funny because prior to doing this trellis crap I rarely if ever did any training. Oh sure I dabbled in SCRoG and things a few years back but more as a proof of concept. When I learned the brain was going south I quickly got hands-on experience with as many ways of growing as I could so I could see/feel with my own two hands what was going to work for me when things got worse. That was 5 years ago (woof)…now my decline has enforced a certain simplicity on my grow so its just Hempy buckets and this trick is working fine for me and whats kinda cool is the missus is learning growing in general but this is the very first “method” for lack of better terms that she ever really made it a point to understand so she has no bad habits to unlearn, its like I am working with a blank chalk board…

My only wish is the one that can’t come true, the one I have had since I started growing in 2014: I wish more growers lived near each other and that the laws got out of our ways, because we could help each other so damned much just by being there for each other and how many tears have we all shed for lost genetics due to accidents and you can’t get it back? If we all were together somehow I envisioned us trading genetics as a form of insurance so in case anything ever went wrong for one of us, the rest could get that person back on their feet quickly, and the reverse is true to; with experienced growers sharing quality genetics, we can bring new neophytes into the fold and start them out right with proper stuff, not just bag seed which can be pretty damned random if it germinates at all, and we all know the last damned thing a new grower needs is randomness in their plants…

6 Likes

You never bore me with any shit bud and the RSO oil sounds real interesting. :grinning:
And as for the laws they are a complete ass! I feel terrible and branded a criminal in the UK for simply growing such a beautiful plant - how dare they! They make me feel guilty - how dare they! I feel guilty when I post a picture, when I talk to a fellow well informed grower like you, I feel guilty.
How fucking dare they!!! No more! The days of cannabis prohibition must end soon!! We are the good guys and I care deeply about my product.

6 Likes

Another reason I make RSO is that of all the methods of extracting THC I have seen and used, this one is the safest and fastest of them all. Everything else either takes mucho time and effort (ice water hash) or can be dangerous AF if you have cognitive or eye-hand defects (think: BHO). With RSO I can grab a bag of buds from the freezer, dump them in a bowl, top with alcohol, beat 5 minutes with wooden spoon, then drain thru coffee filter or I use the tightest weave of Bubble Bags for hash making; up to now this is like 10 minutes of work and thats if you stop and have a bowl in the middle somewhere. Then just cook it down in a rice cooker until thick and syrupy. At this point I have a series of glass syringes and glass eye droppers that are huge; I use these to suck the still-hot RSO out of the rice cookers and once cooler I just inject it into gelcaps and freeze. it doesn’t get much simpler than that…

7 Likes

I didn’t realize that RSO is so easy to make. My next goal after harvest! Thank you.
I will post many pics as I put together our Trellis Project.
So since the annual Family Reunion has been cancelled this weekend I have time on my hands. Love all your posts.
There are a lot of new growers here in Smokelahoma. Lol I love that name. I think we are still the fastest growing state in US. Pun intended.

3 Likes

… me too - did’nt realise how easy and I’m going to have a go at doing that. I want to have a go at cannabis cooking when I harvest (if my mates don’t smoke it all 1st :crazy_face:) and this oil sounds good. Can you cook with it @lbdwarrior? And @fifth I’m looking forward to the photos and it’s a pleasure to chat with you fellow growers. We have so much interesting info to share. :grinning:

2 Likes