Tissue culture help

Thats not a book its part of the tissue culture kits literature. Explaining how it works even comes with 2 kinds of premade agars. One for shoot proliferation and one for rooting only.

1 Like

This is helpful.

this lady explains well. Theres is so many videos.

3 Likes

Wow that’s a lot cheaper than I remember.

1 Like

cooperm, aseptic technique is a DISCIPLINE! preybird said it best…sterile, sterile, sterile. Usually developed in a bacteriology or microbiology class. I guess a second best is just search “developing aseptic technique”. Practice with just a few samples originally until you get it down. (In other words don’t start with incubating 200 samples!) good luck!

2 Likes

@devjyarn actually pulled it off with no failure, his kit was super cheap and simple to use, don’t use bleach use peroxide. So simple anyone can do it I’m told ,even the daft will have no issue unless they can’t read. He also had little to no equipment

1 Like

I need the starting points and all the in-between lol. I want to start into gene editing.

1 Like

I did my aseptic research this morn. Canna doctor. Thats my new personification lol.

Now to overcome the huskies fur… lol

2 Likes

As @hoppiefrog said, I’ve had some success with tissue culture and more success with micro-propagation.

What is the desired goal you hope to reach by adding TC or micro-propagation to your facility? Being able to keep a deep genetic library? Making more efficient use of space? Scrubbing genetics for viruses with tissue culture callous techniques?

TC with cannabis is a bit of a Wild West. Other agricultural industries, food and ornamental, have had a lot of money and time spent by governments and universities to figure out the best ways to grow and transport plants that serve a purpose to the economy; cannabis is very new to this classification so there isn’t much of a body of research. Each plant responds differently to different levels of hormones and nutrients in the growing media so there will be a lot of emphasis on you being able to follow through with well-designed trials and check back on your notes to see what works.

With that said, I would recommend starting with a kit that offers pre-made media with known levels of hormones and food. Another alternative is to get a kit that has a few different pre-made media to allow you to test what works best for you and your genetics.

This site is where both @PreyBird1 and I got our kits from (correct me if I’m wrong, Prey).

Good aseptic techniques throughout the process are essential, as @TheMadFlascher said. It is amazing how quickly “good-enough” turns into “fuzzy-mouldy-hell” inside an in-vitro environment.

3 Likes

Yes @devjyarn that’s were i got my kit also. Aseptic can be a pain. practice, practice. You have to plan out whats in the flow hood and whats going into the hood and when.position your equipment and jars/vials so you can do the Least amount of steps handling the plant cuts At this stage. One hand practice opening the culture jars and putting prepped cuts into agar closing its lid and the whole time lifting nothing above the jars openings or work area. I had to train myself to do things in the right hand as i was doing other stuff with the left hand. This is why i wear full lab suit and not a lab coat. And gloves that cover suits arm openings. And i really like the face hood. These things are the small things that trip you up. Just make to practice. I sat with a media tube and jars and practiced one handing the opening and closing and wrapping the tubes shut with like a saran wrap. When my tubes are prepped for the pressure cooker and when they come out i tilt the tray so the gel is slightly slanted as it cools and hardens. Because you can get moisture and it can drown the cut. So slanting the agar makes condensation run down the slant and not around the base of the cut. Like a runoff slant. Then i started testing how long to keep cuts before having to remix agar

2 Likes