Treating Epilepsy's Toughest Cases

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/treating-epilepsy-rsquo-s-toughest-cases/

It’s good to see some coverage regarding cannabis’ use in treating neural disorders. Cannabis needs to either be descheduled or moved to a lower tier to allow for more research on CBD and THC.

Quote from the article:

[quote]Faced with this roadblock, many patients and families have opted to conduct their own experiments. In recent years, for example, as marijuana was approved for medical uses in Colorado and other states, parents of children with Dravet syndrome have started giving their sons and daughters doses of cannabidiol, a nonpsychoactive component of the plant, prepared as an oil. In anecdotal reports online and in the media, some families described a dramatic reduction in seizures. Since then, a few clinical studies of cannabidiol have also supported its potential as an effective treatment for some forms of epilepsy.

In 2014 GW Pharmaceuticals, a British drug company, received special permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to test its pharmaceutical version of cannabidiol, called Epidiolex. In a recent trial of 225 patients, completed in September 2016, participants who took the drug (along with their other epilepsy medications) reduced their nonstop seizures by 42 percent, compared with 17 percent for those taking a placebo.[/quote]

Have you or your loved ones faced neurological disorders? Has cannabis helped?

2 Likes

I have one friend who uses cannabis to treat his ADHD as none of the other ADHD medications worked for him. One of my other friends has bipolar and cannabis keeps him on an even keel. He’s been much more stable since he started on it.

1 Like

what our the studies on people that have autism ?

1 Like

Here’s one study on treating autism from Israel:

2 Likes

New research announced on effectiveness of CBD for seizures:

2 Likes

Interesting study from Mexico - 81% report a decrease in seizures:

1 Like

USA Today picked up the autism trial:

2 Likes

I always get worried when I see articles that say “miracle treatment.” Nothing’s ever that simple. But it is good to see its potential applications.

Solid double-blind research on CBD and epilepsy:

2 Likes

Another follow up (from Scientific American):

This is the specific kind of epilepsy being proven treatable by CBD: Dravet Syndrome.

The test group saw a drop from 12.9 seizures per month to 5.9, and the placebo group dropped from 14.9 seizures per month to 14.1. That’s a huge difference!

1 Like

New trial starting for seizures for Tuberous Sclerosis:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/cannabis-oil-trial-ongoing-at-cook-childrens-hospital/461488973

2 Likes