True tincture

Hey everyone, I just wanted to pass down a little knowledge I picked up from one of my buddies. I’ve been trying to make all sorts of tinctures for a while now and I couldn’t figure out how to keep the chlorophyll out without losing any cannabinoids. Well I’m using 190 proof ever clear. First put it in the freezer. Second decarb your trim or bud and grind it fine. After the everclear is about 0 degrees F. Carefully add it to your cannabis making sure not to spill any on yourself. (Instant frostbite) had just enough to cover the cannabis. Keep it in your freezer for about 4 weeks, shaking it vigorously everyday. After 4 weeks take a coffee filter fill it halfway with food grade powdered activated charcoal and evenly and slowly add the tincture little by little. You will see that it will come out clear. After that reduce for potency.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Please forgive my ignorance, but how do you reduce for potency?

4 Likes

Yeah @chefjonnyg , tell us more. So how potent does the oil get?

3 Likes

Filter everything and slowly simmer in a large Teflon pan constantly stirring with a rubber spatula. Depending on how much you have you may need a lower temperature I find that a low boil is sufficient. If you have a gas stove, do not do this part, it will immediately combust and your house will be on fire. But if you have electric then just be careful. Reduce down until a maple syrup consistency is reached. You will have about an eighth
of a cup from two quarts of liquid

6 Likes

The trick is to get rid of all the alcohol which leaves just the good stuff

3 Likes

If you remove all of f the alcohol it’s no longer a tincture it’s rso.
Tincture uses carboxolayed thc (or other botanicals) suspended in the Alcohol.
Bitters is a tincture.

1 Like

Good to know, what does RSO stand for?

1 Like

Rick Sampson oil

Full spectrum cannabis oil is the actual name.

2 Likes

Who the f*** is rick sampson

1 Like

Lol. BriefFrayedAfricanclawedfrog-small

SAMPSON!

2 Likes

Rick Simpson is sort of a hero in the movement towards legalizing Medical Marijuana.
He’s a Canadian guy who went to jail for a long time for making “hash oil” (which from, all your your concentrates are based on) and giving it away to cancer patients for free.
It basically all started with him, and his black goo (thanks Rick).
I’d also like to add, that if you’re making a tincture the best way to adjust it for potency is to either add or subtract the alcohol. The first way is obvious, but the latter is a bit tricky.
Like chefjonnyg mentioned everclear is the best non commercial alcohol solvent out there. You can buy even higher proof ethyl alcohol bulk online from chemical manufacturers in a number of botanical distillations (grape alcohol, corn alcohol, grain alcohol, etc.) never use isopropyl alcohol or other poisonous shit. Now days most of the oil you get in a dispensary is solventless C02 oil.
When I make my oil for my culinary stuff (I’m a Chef too, 38. years now) I distill out the alcohol in order to use it again.
I made a crude still using some coiled copper tubing in a five gallon bucket which I fill with ice. The tubing run from the top of the bucket lid, down to the lowest part, and out of the side. The top tubing runs to an old pressure cooker in which I connected a quick release on the little release valve on top, and on topside copper tubing. Inside the pressure cooker goes the filtered “wash/tincture” and as it cooks down, the alcohol vapor goes up through the tube and ice, condensates returns to liquid and goes back into the bottle. I use one of the cheap “as seen on tv portable induction cooktops so there’s no heat or flame. There’s a lot more to it than that, I encourage research.
It saves a bunch of money, because a handle (2L) of EC costs about $30+ In St. Louis, and you can get 90% of it back to use again and again.
I hope this helps.
Blake

5 Likes

WOW :flushed:. You must show me a picture of your still. That’s great info! Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks, you’re welcome.
You can probably find an example online by putting in the keywords.
I used to buy EClear by the case for a run of oil.
When I lived in MI, you could give your trim to a small manufacturing lab, and for a percentage of the oil (20%+ depending) they would run your trim, or buds through (RSO, BHO, C02) process and give you back a nicer product than I could do myself. They had expensive, proper lab equipment and were licensed by the state.

• I should add a caveat, I’m a licensed caregiver and cultivator, not an oil manufacturer. I would dig a lot deeper into this with professional advice from a website that deals mostly in concentrates. “Skunk Farms” is good one. In addition to this site you should be able to do a deep dive into the subject.
    There’s a lot to know out on the interweb, and a lot of mistakes can be avoided by good research.
    This I know, because I’ve made them and learned from them and if I had researched more diligently I could have saved a lot of loot.
    Good Luck Party People.
2 Likes

I edited this slightly because I wrote things a bit wonky. It’s correct now.
You can also buy small stills for a few hundred dollars, about the same price for a couple of cases of Everclear going into the air.
Whether you make one, or buy one you’ll save money from “run one”.
Shalom.

2 Likes

Great thread. Very awesome input!