Twisted and/or gnarled leaves. Help identify please

This is something we seem to have often and have not found ANY info online, yet. For reference, we use Coco-Coir in 20 gallon pots. I am wanting any information you all have to identifying this…whatever it is. Thank you.

4 Likes

Definitely looks biological to me… would suspect bacterial or viral. If you are maintaining mother plants do they display these symptoms? How wide spread is it in your grow? Some sucking insects will inject toxins that will cause distortions. Aphids/thrips are often vectors for many viruses.

Hopefully others that may have seen these symptoms will chip in here…

4 Likes

I am leaning in the direction of @TheMadFlascher here too. Aphids can be insidious and an often misidentified garden pest.

Here’s a quote from the Arbico Organics website:

Each plant reacts differently to aphid attacks. Some show no adverse response to aphids, while others react with twisted, curled or swollen leaves and/or stems. Symptoms of aphid damage incude decreased growth rates, mottled leaves, leaf yellowing, stunted growth, browning, wilting, low yields and death. Due to the way they feed, aphids can vector bacterial and viral diseases, which can be much more difficult to control than the aphid population. For instance, the green peach aphid ( Myzus persicae ) is a vector for more than 110 plant viruses.

[SOURCE: https://www.arbico-organics.com/category/pest-solver-guide-aphids]

Shout out to @ARBICO

8 Likes

I didn’t have exactly the same issue, but I kept experiencing leaf abnormalities including consistently small leaves, mutant leaves (e.g., one large blade with minuscule or missing additional blades on some leaves), and blade twisting. In my case, my water ph level was off (way too alkaline, near 8.0). For reference, I grow in living soil (peat/compost base) using de-chlorinated tap water. . .

5 Likes

Might be a long shot but my first thought was Hop Latent Virus: Dark Heart Nursery Identifies Major Virus Behind ‘Dud’ Cannabis Plants | Cannabis Now

3 Likes

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I’m still on the hunt for a definitive answer. I am, however, leaning heavily towards bacteria/virus/viroid.

2 Likes

I think it’s either viral or thrips damage that was done when the leaves were still very small and tight. not uncommon for young thrips to be down inside that new growth. Your pest management treatments may have eliminated the thrips, so you may not be seeing adults or new feeding signs but that damage could have been done weeks ago,

3 Likes

the thing, is aphids are easy to see. I’m sure Matthias is scouting and would see those.
I’m still thinking thrips which are also notorious for vectoring viral pathogens and in the pupal stages, are very difficult to find, which is what they would be when down inside the newest growth.

3 Likes

So, a sort of update. I was talking to another grower and he seems to think it’s indicative of over spraying with pesticides, in particular, Azamax. I am willing to entertain the idea cause it sounds plausible. There are some things I can do to test it. BUT, this only occurs on a small number of plants, out of 462. Spray from a higher vantage point; Fix the sprayer handle cause it leaks occasionally; Find a nozzle with a higher dispersion rate, atomize the damn liquid. Perhaps, because we spray during 12/12, we turn the lights back on too soon. About 4 hours after spray.
So, the question is…Could this be a possible cause?

1 Like