Veganic Compost Tea

Yea marmite is vegan kind of like molasses with some B vitamins…I don’t think it would be a bad thing to try in small amounts like molasses. The shilajit is more of an adaptogenic supplement with high amounts of humid acid and minerals…
Good stuff but not too much from mid bloom on …

3 Likes

Thanks @dollhouz for the info, that’s what I was also thinking. What would you consider as small amounts?
What would/will the ratio be for Marmite?
And yes I understand the nutrient difference between the 2.

3 Likes

Sounds great, maybe if you can try the Australian version Vegiemite- it’s more potent!
Would start light with about 1/2 teaspoon per liter - do a quick ph check -if it’s too alkaline you can add a drop of molasses to neutralize to 6-6.5.

Also, look into Okinawa brown sugar…it’s expensive but really amazing…especially Sprinkled on top of hot pancakes with butter mon!

2 Likes

My older brother lives in Australia, I will ask him thanks @dollhouz.
In the meantime I will try the locally available Marmite.
I haven’t seen Okinawa sugar here, but I will look again :+1:
Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

@dollhouz
I went out looking for the Okinawa Sugar. I couldn’t find it, but I found Treacle Sugar that looks interesting.

What do you guys think?
Can’t find much info on Google, except for food recipes :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Hey mon!! Could try in minimal doses and see.
Amazon has the Okinawa sugar, the reason why I choose it, is because it is full a micronutrients and a lot of calcium and magnesium…

Yakabe Okinawa brown sugar 320g https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EIXGPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J7WLEbE09XVCN

3 Likes

Imo any natural sugar will work well even fruit works for a sugar source but best to have other nutrients for the microbes as well as carbon and a surface for fungi to grow in bacterium multiples in the water but the fungi need to cling to something and take 2-3 days to colonize.fingi groups are hard to multiply but easier to grow larger the goal is as many fungi grouped as possible without pushing the brew so far as to kill the bacteria so I like to give a second dose of sugars at half strength at the 48 hr Mark to help keep it balanced;)

4 Likes

Interesting and thanks for the tip mon! Hope you are well. What do you like to use for your microbial entity?

4 Likes

Honestly I get best results with Jeff lowenfell tea kits (simplicitea) or kis kits they are simple and their compost is amazing!!! It’s pricey but wow :wink: stuff brews like a dream and. Never any mold on soil using this stuff. Sooooo many bugs in it it’s all Halloween looking haha.

4 Likes

no i dont know but i can search and then give you… :innocent:

1 Like

Do you have any of Jeff lowenfells books? Teaming with microbes/fungi/bacteria ? They are all great reads :wink: he literally wrote the books on microbes ,he has set the bar very high indeed

4 Likes

Just this am I said to the missus I need to order this book. Thanks for reminding me.

3 Likes

Hey man np they are great reads

4 Likes

Hey mon! Thanks for the information:) No I haven’t read him. What book do you recommend as a first read?

3 Likes

Teaming with microbes is the first to read then fungi

4 Likes

@hoppiefrog Question o wise one, I started a tea last night of lake seaweed,compost starter( my compost isnt ready yet) molasses and scoop of skunklabs root assist complete,airstone and clean h2o. I am new to making tea and was wondering how long and what should it look like? Oh also this am I gave it a few more tablespoons molasses and 1/4 cup of farrow, that I forgot,go figure hehe, last night

2 Likes

Not sure what Farrow is but it generally takes 24-72 hrs to brew aact. Depending on temps and what u intend on brewing .a bacterial tea generally takes 24hrs and a fungal tea takes 48-72 hrs. You should see some foam like a froth but not all brews do. But smell is important can u still smell the molasses if so you haven’t brewed long enough. If it smells foul in any way you did not have enough oxygen throw it out it went anarobic , no good unless ur making effective microbes. If brewed proper if should only smell like dirt very neutral at that. If trying to brew a balanced or fungal tea add some organic fruit even blueberries and strawberries and peach mango etc also organic baby oatmeal works well. Fungus needs something to grow and multiply on. It’s not a bad thing to add more molasses if you brew for 72 hrs but 48 hrs or less this is unnecessary.

4 Likes

@hoppiefrog Thank you very much, you are a very wise one. Farrow is one of the older grains it’s what I had on hand. When I looked at it this am it was nice and bubbly with a great earthy smell I will check again in the am and go from there. I also reread the section of Jefs book on teas. I have learned alot from his books. Again a big thank you. This site is as great as what I’ve read.!!!

3 Likes

You are very welcome :wink: and anytime my friend don’t hesitate , Jeff sells tea kits simplicitea it’s amazing stuff a bit pricey but well worth the bucks and it’s in the name simple as it comes !! I recommend them to anyone that has access.

3 Likes

I will check it out. Thx

3 Likes