Veganic Compost Tea

Hi guys,
Wondering if anybody has any experience with Veganic compost teas? Any notable recipes, ingredients ?

5 Likes

So is veganic all plant based ingredients then?
So worm poo would or wouldn’t be considered veganic?
I’ve sprouted alfalfa seeds and ground them up mixed with water and fed.
Have done a few other soaks/mixes but mostly Boogie Brew teas which have many ingredients…mostly vegan based I think.

This is their ingredients… I’ve been using this for the last 14 months and have been happy with it.

2-Part Tea consists of two (separate) products combined into one duo-pack as follows:

BOOGIE-BASE© ( Part A ) INGREDIENTS: Worm Castings, Composted Wood Chips, Bio-Char, Trace Ocean Minerals, Volcanic Rock Ash & Fossilized Kelp.

BOOGIE-BOOST© ( Part B ) INGREDIENTS: Soluble Kelp Extract, Soybean Hydrolysate, Kelp Meal, Nutritional Yeast, Soybean Meal, Humates, Evaporated Cane Juice (Sugar), Alfalfa Meal, Humic Acid with Potash, Rock Phosphate, Langbeinite, Greensand.

• Burlap brew-bag included

• Eco-packed from 100% recycled paper with air-permeable moisture membrane.

Guess I never realized it is a veganic recipe

8 Likes

Thanks mon!!
Yes exactly it excludes animal derived products and by products. EWC could be ok if you raised the worms on a vegetarian diet!
Thank you for posting m- I saw that product, I was researching all the ingredients in it coincidentally when I found it.
I’m even going to stop using perlite and peat moss. Feel like there are better solutions nowadays that make those feel almost obsolete!
Also I traditionally used bat guano, but with all the Cov-2 stuff and bats being a major carrier of corona virus species…I think it may be better to avoid, especially since I myself have since stopped eating animals!

Jah blesh mon

4 Likes

Marmite counts as Vegan, right?

4 Likes

I have a worm farm and don’t feed them meat or dairy etc…only left over veggies and fruit scraps etc and so do pretty much any worm farmers that do it commercially. So sounds like it is…making me think deeper…thanks.

Two types of bat guano one is from fruit bats and the other from insect eating bats and each provides different things…one P one K in general.
Many other options to choose from besides bat shit.

@docdre never used either product before…actually until now hadn’t heard of them…there are so many things offered out there to chose from and my shelves are full of DTE dry nutrients and some other brands and homemade ones like powdered egg shells and potash etc…

3 Likes

@skydiver Can you please explain your assumption about me.

3 Likes

Hello, fellow vegan here. There are a lot of things you could use in your teas. I would use a base of sea kelp, humic acid, molasses and compost. You can then add different ingredient depending on the plants needs. For micro nutrients try some green sand, azamite, dolomite and glacial rock dust. If your need nitrogen use come corn meal or alfalfa meal and some rock phosphate for phosphorus when flowering. There are a lot of products on the market to choose from. I would definitely use worm castings even though it could be argued that they are not vegan.

6 Likes

I don’t have any assumptions about you.
I was just stating I hadn’t heard of those amendments before now is all

4 Likes

Well my fellow grower. We are NEVER to old to learn.
Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

Always be learning…never an end in sight and that’s awesome in my book
Vulcan greeting…nice

6 Likes

It’s a Everyday Struggle for me :joy::rofl::joy: to stop learning and reading up about my Favourite Plant and the Best ways to cultivate the Best product without breaking bank. DIY is my thing. But they say; There’s many ways to skin a cat… but what if 2 methods together works better :thinking: That’s why I study or learn as much as I can. To find my Golden Mixture that will work Best with my grow method and style.
Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

8 Likes

I’ve been also using :vulcan_salute: for the nez world order…

Thanks for the info everybody! This is the way …

3 Likes

Hey mon! Thanks again:)
Good to find some people like you and @skydiver that are on the same page!! @docdre I knew you would be diggin’ this mon!
Let’s keep the discussion…the soil preparation I have researched:

Coir
Aged pine bark
Veganic compost
Vegan amendments as suggested here…
Rice hulls
Akadama

2 Likes

Actually it would not be vganic with worm Castings. I have made simpliciteas vganic teas. (Jeff lowenfell) it’s great stuff and their compost is second to none imo. Bio canna is vganic and brewable.

5 Likes

Alfalfa meal makes good food as well as a surface to grow fungus on and malted barley creates great enzymes when brewed.

6 Likes

No type of poo including insect poo is vganic. Check out vganic certification requirements. The rule is anything that moves isn’t vganic pretty much.if it grows or is mined from the earth it’s vganic.

4 Likes

Actually it is even argued earth juices metta k (fossilized sea bird guano) is not vganic!! I think it’s crazy considering it is “fossilized” no poo left there!! But still doesn’t meet vganic specifications

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of veganic fertilizers, not this brand name. I’ve grown all organically for years, but I never triedfertilizing with all plant based substances. …So, I take it the first part of this stuff is for vegetative stage and second is for flowering?

1 Like

Copied from a FB group I’m in…topic Vegan Compost Recipe

My compost source at this point is just the alaskan humus…sometimes i’ve thrown in broken down oak leaves from nearby. Brew reciepe (if I can remember)…2 double handfuls humus, 2 double handfuls Nature’s Solutions castings, 1 double handful dry kelp, 1 double handful dry soluble seaweed, 1 double handful volcanic ash, 2 qts molasses, 2 qts fish emulsion (the hydroly…whatever? better stuff), 1 qt humic acid, and sometimes a lidful of “inoculant” i.e.the box of spores from Ag Mart with the ol’ man on the front. All of this into 250 gallons of water at about 65 degrees with 2 large Ag Mart air pumps and 20-ish air stones in a molasses tote. I don’t do anything to produce NPK, because I don’t know how much will be produced…maybe better to let the “microbes” and your nutrients, if any, decide. Brew for 12-24 hours. Only recently did I take a class to figure out what’s really going on in that tote… pretty amazing/scary! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks mon! Nice to hear you:) yea wasn’t planning on the EWC. I have bio canna flora which I will add to the tea but was thinking rock phosphate and some rock potash/wood ash with some Euklenia Maximus…
Should be a good tea…maybe occasionally add some of my shilajit/kelp amendment to my normal waterings!!!

2 Likes