Ventilation opinions

Hello to everyone this is my first post and first grow. I live in Illinois known for its cold winters, humid summers and high taxes. I am in the process of setting up my first grow tent and have mixed feelings on outside ventilation. My tent is in the basement it is 4’ x 4’ x 80" I have an infinity exhaust fan and carbon filter. My question is what are the groups thoughts on outside ventilation and passive and forced air intake?

Thanks
Dave

1 Like

@draves67 welcome to network.
I only do outside ventilation. Inside ventalation causes humidity issues and heat increases in the ambient room causing the tent to get hot and hard to control temp. And it creates odor big time. I also stopped using cabon filters. I only use ozone generators. The carbon filters just reduce air flow 25-30% of the fan and in my experience carbon filters hardley do shit and waste money all the way around. Which can cause it to work harder and make more heat. Try and have all the fans and venting tubes and light ballast out of tent to reduce more heat. and as much equipment outside of the enviroment. Gives more interior space and reduces heat. Also keep in mind there is a 7 degree temperature difference between the floor and the ceiling. Cold air in the tent at the bottom and the hot air out at the top.

2 Likes

Welcome draves67! If you can exhaust your grow tent air outside I would do it. Like @PreyBird1 said it can throw off your rooms ambient temp and rh. But if you cant, you can still make it work. I’m unable to vent outside without an upgrade that requires drilling and cutting. So I just recently upgraded to a 10,000 btu window a/c unit to help keep my room and grow tent cool. Plus I needed a decent dehumidifier also.
I run all ac infinity exhaust fans too! Very efficient and well made fans.
I started with passive air intake only, but soon upgraded to a small 76cfm forced air intake fan. It’s worth it to just start with one, and the fan controls are real nice too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info I have ordered an inline fan and run ducting outside, switched my grow light schedule to so my 6 hours off are in the middle of the afternoon to help. Thanks to you and @PreyBird1 for the help.

2 Likes

Anytime. If you ever need questions answered. Or some help were all here and generally everyone is mostly helpful.

2 Likes