Visit to Morganic Concentrates

Morganic Concentrates’ office is located in Aurora, CO, a suburb of southeast Denver. Kris, the owner of @Morganicconcentrates , and his wife were supervising their kids who were riding their bikes around the parking lot when I pulled up. I introduced myself and Kris started showing me around while mom and the kids ventured off to the park.

They recently put up a brand-new sign and were very proud of it. The logo was created by a graphic designer who they are friends with.

Kris told me that they’ve been building out the facility since January and they were finally ready for production. Due to the nature of the extraction process and the inspection approvals from the city, the process took a long time. Since this was the first time that Aurora had seen this kind of extraction setup, the city was careful to make sure that the setup met their safety requirements. Kris previously worked as a carpenter, thus he was familiar with the stop-and-go nature of construction and approvals.

Morganic Concentrates makes extracts with an ethanol distillation system from Colorado Extraction Systems, which is located in Golden, CO. The Triple X-Tract system extracts and filters the plant’s essentials, including all of the cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids. It also filters out water and chlorophyll. The extracted solution is then transferred to the SprayVap system, which distills the ethanol back into the closed loop system, leaving only the cannabis oil behind. The low operating temperature of ethanol extraction minimizes degradation of essential compounds while keeping them free of ethanol solvent. The solution is heated up in a vacuum, vaporizing the ethanol for later reuse. The equipment is compact enough that they operate out of a space just under 400 square feet total.

Kris is in the process of deciding on a packaging system, and whether to purchase his own packaging device or outsource the process. Once he crosses that bridge he’ll be ready to offer Morganic Concentrates products in local dispensaries. Right now Kris is in the process of talking to various Colorado dispensaries to determine the best place to offer the product. Because he focuses on quality over quantity, he wants to find a dispensary that shares his values and can best highlight the oil.

Morganic Concentrates wants to make sure that they are producing the purest product possible, so they start with cannabis grown using organic principles, and they also make sure to use organic, non-GMO corn ethanol for the filtration. The grower that they work with is located in the same building, so they can be sure that good growing practices are being used.

After showing me the equipment and a recent batch of essential oil extract that he created, Kris headed out to enjoy the nice weather with a game of disc golf. When he’s not in the office you’ll typically find him on one of the many disc golf courses around town.

4 Likes

You get to have all the fun! I like the name too! That’s an interesting setup. I’ve been seeing more and more distillation type extraction machines in the various trade magazines i receive. I bet the city of Aurora was scratching their heads looking at the machinery! Your description of the process helped me understand the workings. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s nice being in Denver around so many great businesses. If anyone else in the Denver or Boulder is up for a visit, please let me know!

3 Likes

Aurora did scratch their heads, They kept wanting to classify us as solvent - based, but we are actually considered water based per the state regulations. This makes things considerably cheaper on the buildout, but they still mandate that we overbuild by a hundredfold. I have a minuscule amount of ethanol in the facility, compared to the liquor store up the street, which is built with a fraction of the mandates. If I follow their rationale though, the liquor store is primed for detonation. That being said, the city of Aurora has been very accommodating, and their fears were dispelled ultimately by Quentin from colorado extraction systems. His background in the aerospace industry coupled with his passion for showing his machine put them right at ease. When you thaw out and head south, look us up! I have fond memories of matanuska valley thunderF btw

4 Likes

@Morganicconcentrates - Congrats on getting up and going! I’ve just started my own grow facility and I sympathize with you on the build out. It’s not easy, but nothing ventured nothing gained, and the more difficult the process the more rewarding when you reach the top! I’d love to visit someday, maybe I’ll get a chance early next year. I’d like to take a business trip to CO and check out several facilities along with taking a course from Trichome Institute. I wish you well and thank you for sharing your operation with us!

3 Likes

If you do come to visit let me know @garymorgan and we can meet up and I can show you around town!

3 Likes

Thanks Nicholas, will do!

2 Likes

You will study with max perhaps to become a Future herb sommelier? Sounds awesome! Please let us know when you come, and feel free to stop by!

3 Likes

Well I’m not sure about being a Cannabis Sommelier. :slight_smile: (Maybe someday after lots of practice) I hear it’s not so easy, but I want to learn more and be able to more closely identify good and bad product. I’m new to the industry and I’m trying to soak up information from reputable sources. His courses look very well formed with lots of hands on examples of good and bad product.

2 Likes

Well depending on when you come, I would highly recommend Linn Havelick’s extraction technology course (its 2 or 3 days). I’m new to this new industry too, so I’m the same as you in terms of looking to learn from those with experience. Funny thing is, I met some Alaskans when I attended that seminar. You all sure know how to get around lol

3 Likes

Alaskans are used to traveling long distances just to get groceries. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reminds me of the joke about how Texas complained when Alaska joined the union, because Texas was no longer the largest state. Alaska told Texas to be quiet or else it would split itself into two and make Texas the third largest state in the union :slight_smile:

4 Likes