Wall Mounted Circulating Fans

@mastergrowers @GrowOpEmployees @growopowners @Growernick

What are the best wall mounted circulating fans on the market? tried both Active Air and Hurricane models with similar fail rates, often within a month or two of purchasing. Starting to think maybe i should just buy the cheapest fans on the market and expect to replace every turn or two. Anyone have a good brand/model recommendation with the best place to buy?

Thanks - lee

5 Likes

I know this sounds crazy, but you have a solid plan.

Always look into the warranty on fans prior to purchase and then plan on them failing. Where do you buy your fans? Your retailer should honor the manufacturer’s warranty when features like oscillation fail or the unit breaks completely. Look into the RMA process at your retailer and make your consumer decisions accordingly. Those Active Air and Hurricane fans work well when they function, but when they break, you need to be able to replace them. I also recommend keeping a few spare fans around the facility to be prepared in the event of a fan breakdown.

3 Likes

http://www.schaeferventilation.com/media/1507/schaefersourcebookwebv2.pdf

this look heavy duty and dependable

5 Likes

Wall fans are for residential/hobby grows, imho. If this is for a commercial grow, go with 4-6 ceiling mounted commercial Horizontal Air Flow (HAF) fans, like you will find in vinny’s pdf.

8 Likes

Yes, look for greenhouse HAF fans. Mine have been running 24/7 for more then 20 years non stop. Out of the 200+ fans zero have died. Don’t know the brand been too many years. Correction they do stop when it’s hot and the end wall fans come on.

2 Likes

You will always have problems with fans… Get used to it. And, don’t ignore air flow at the bottom of the plants. Everyone ignores that. But, the air flow around the bottom of the plants is as important, if not more important, than the air flow at the top of the plants.

6 Likes

I have had really good luck with Hurricane fans [both current and previous models]. However, as Tamarindotradingco mentioned, failure of equipment [especially these types of fans from a small clip-on to a nice wall mounted fan] is just a fact of life. I have never found such a fan that didn’t. That PDF Vinny posted is the route to take if you want something that will last [I have fired them up for the first time in a decade covered in rust and with no issue and still pushing air like crazy].

Duct-socks are handy. Non oscillating larger fans can be placed just above the canopy with one set blowing North to South and another set on the other side of the room blowing South to North [the air will circulate hard and create wind through the room - so the fan doesn’t have to be direct]. I have had even better luck with the all metal hanging-fans [but not the little ones for some reason the bearings always go out].

8 Likes

Just to follow I haven’t been able to find anyone to sell me one of these fans. I’ve emailed and called the reps for that fan for months and nada…

4 Likes

http://www.schaeferventilation.com/find-a-dealer/
You can’t do pro on a shoestring budget.

4 Likes

Find the distribution companies in your area I use OBC northwest here in Oregon, greenhouse mega store is good online company
Their shipping is good too thay have shipping contracts like amazon, with the shipping companies.

2 Likes

The fans I referenced are like $250. Super cheap as far as fans go. Again, I’ve had no luck getting a return call or email from the local rep in my area for 6 months now and I try every couple of weeks.

4 Likes

You’re saying the dealers aren’t responding I would call the factory and let them know as their reputation is on the line.

4 Likes

Correct. I’ve been given 2 different reps to contact and neither have responded to emails or phone calls

4 Likes

That’s probably because they are looking for much larger average sales and require minimum purchase. They may also be freaked out in dealing with a cannabis provider if they know or suspect that.

The factory may have independent reps that will be more responsive.

The only other option I can think of is if you have commercial ag contacts with an account.

4 Likes

The sales reps for these companies are usually swamped with their established big customers that pay their wages, this time of year. New customers have to build a relationship start with in-house sales person, you probably will have to pay upfront then they will order them in. Unless you are buying a hundred fans it hard to get their attention.

3 Likes

This would be the 4th time I’ve contacted them about it. It’s getting ridiculous.

4 Likes

Growershouse carries them
https://growershouse.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=circulation+fan

5 Likes

Yo VINNY,
… When you put a lot of money into fans, you tend to get fewer fans. Then you have all your air movement concentrated in fewer locations. The name of the game in powdery mildew PREVENTION is AIR FLOW. The way to “control” powdery mildew is to never get it to begin with.
… Having 20 years experience, I ended up handling air flow with cheap 20 inch box fans. You can screw small chains to them (top and bottom) and hang them from the rafters at any angle you want. Most importantly, you can put them all over the floor. Anywhere you have dead air and need air flow.
… I used to wait for sales at discount stores when the price would go down to $10 - $12, then I would go in and buy all they had. I considered them disposable and looked at them as I looked upon water filters… Just something you had to change on a regular basis.
… That is my opinion, and I am welcome to it.

4 Likes