Wednesday Aug 23rd at 11am MDT - Ask Me Anything with Walter from MSP Technology

We’re hosting an Ask Me Anything event on Wednesday August 23rd, 2017 at 11am MDT with Walter Stark from @msptechnology to answer your questions about vapor pressure deficit (VPD), humidity, temperature and HVAC design.

Click here to add the event to your Google Calendar or download and open this attachment to add to Outlook and other calendar programs. MSPTechnology_Ask_Me_Anything.ics (1.3 KB)

Walter Stark has spent his professional career serving the HVAC industry, and the past thirty years specializing in dehumidification, making him one of the leading experts in the field. He is best known as the inventor of the MSP Dehumidifying Coil, which saves up to 70% energy. He also holds a number of other HVAC-related patents. An award-winning visionary and entrepreneur, Mr. Stark has been the recipient of the Governor’s Award for Energy Excellence in New York, and a grant from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority. Popular Science magazine has honored his invention among their Best of What’s New. Mr. Stark has served as President of his local chapter of the American Society of Refrigeration Air Conditioning Engineers. His clients include such large firms as Walmart and Hasbro. Mr. Stark’s company, MSP Technology, is active in the field of dehumidification and the emerging field of indoor plant-growing, providing HVAC and dehumidification equipment, design, and project management services.

4 Likes

Hello, This is Walter Stark, ready to take your questions. I’ve attached documents on a case study on Humidity Control in Indoor Agriculture and a Vapor Pressure Deficit Chart with explanation.

Please keep in mind that we are engineers, not horticulturists. Our job is to provide you with the environment you specify to help your plants thrive. That said, when issues fall close to the line between engineering and horticulture, we share our opinion.

Please feel free to contact me at wstark@msptechnology.com
http://www.msptechnology.com/indoor-farming/

Please be patient, I’m a slow typer

Case Study indoor agriculture.pdf (2.0 MB)
VPD Chart With Explanation.pdf (217.6 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for doing this AMA Walter! What are some of the most common mistakes and errors that you see growers make with HVAC?

3 Likes

Thanks for those docs Walter! They look great.

With indoor grows, how much of a role does the external environment play in regards to the kinds of heating and cooling a grower should choose?

2 Likes

Using traditional off-the-shelf HVAC equipment

4 Likes

In the case of indoor grows, the air is recirculated with introduction of little or no outdoor air. The only load is the envelope which is usually low compared with internal load such as lighting.

3 Likes

What software do you like to use for monitoring and recording climate control data? Do you have your own software platform or do you partner with someone for that?

2 Likes

What kinds of redundancies are available in case of a primary HVAC unit failure?

1 Like

We offer a complete software package that is compatible with most protocols. We can also interface with a growers software package.

3 Likes

@msptechnology When and why did MSP Technology start working with cannabis companies?

1 Like

MSP equipment has only one moving part–a highly reliable beltless fan with EC motor. So, a spare fan or two would be advised. The chiller or refrigeration system should have redundancy. Multiple compressors with multiple circuits can ensure continuous operation during failure,

3 Likes

Follow up to this question - in the event of a failure, what’s the expected amount of downtime to replace parts if you have the correct ones on hand?

2 Likes

We have been removing moisture from air for more than 20 years. About 3 years ago we saw the indoor growing opportunity and, after close investigation, discovered a market superior for MSP Technology.

3 Likes

No more than one day. Probably less given the critical nature

3 Likes

Hi I am Yonatan from DryGair, Thank you Doctor. Great to be part of this discussion.
During the day when lights are on, the plants evaporate 10 times more than during the night.
How do you deal with this high evaporation rate?

3 Likes

Also, does MSP offer systems that recapture water from the air for re-use?

1 Like

Sorry to disagree. Humidity rises at night because lights go out, Transpiration decreases at night

2 Likes

I misread your question. Dehumidifiers are sized to handle day conditions, so there is plenty of dehumidification available at night,

2 Likes

In terms of HVAC, which states do you think face the toughest environments for cultivation?

1 Like

Yes, Condensate can be routed to provide irrigation for the plants.

2 Likes