Week 7 of flowering | thrip pest issue?

Hi Forum
Hoping for some direction.
Indoor grow in perlite mix and yieldtech nutrients.
All is well accept, we have noticed for the last 10 days increase thrip on the leaves.
See pictures attached. We in day 45 across the grow and this is our first experience.
some of the flowers look ready but if there waA005 - 20210302_132617.bmp (900.1 KB) A006 - 20210302_132619.bmp (900.1 KB) s no pest issue probably leave until week 8/9 to cut down. Trichomes still clear … What do we do ? cut or just see it through ?

thank you
Shaun

3 Likes

Welcome to the Growers Network!

see it thru. diatamatious earth cn be put onto soil. i would cover my hands in it and rub down the leaves. dont breathe it in lol. all organic. just shouldnt breathe it.

the other pest management i use is Dr Zymes and BT. all safe up till harvest, i wouldnt spray your bud though. be careful in your spraying.

2 Likes

thank you for prompt reply
as “head” grower I want to see it through at least for another 10days ~
but the 2nd head grower (who is my wife) is leaning towards harvesting now.
plan is to do a wet cut and then place in drying tent and hope the thrips goes away.

I also have some ladies in early veg in adjacent tent. and we see some thrips. I
have sprayed neem oil 2 days ago and will do a few more sprays over next week …
feeling hopeful it will all work out and that a few thrips (one or 2 per leaf) is not an infestation?

1 Like

not yet… remember you have a lot of leaves with one or two.

2 Likes

Control your pests & diseases - Cannabis - Broad mite | Koppert (koppertus.com)

1 Like

Neoseiulus/Amblyseius cucumeris Thrips Predator (growershouse.com)

1 Like

I would stay the course, but keep a close eye on them. They multiply quickly and the farther into flower you get, the harder it will be to get rid of them. Predatory insects are a great way to help control pests. Ladybugs and green lacewings love larva and small soft bodied pests.

1 Like

i read about lady bugs and wasps and others – are these to be used indoor?
appreciate your comments - this is our 4th proper grow and I can say for sure it is no easy road.
but slowly we getting there . about the thrips – going 2 continue with the neem oil foliated every 3 days~
to be honest these thrips I thought i had terminated when this current harvest were babies – clearly not
once they are cut plan to deep clean the room and the tent within …

1 Like

I used ladybugs in my closet. A few got out and made their way around the house, but for the most part they like to stay where it’s “sunny” and they have food. Water soaked raisins are a good way to keep them in the right places. I haven’t tried green lacewings yet, but I’m sure they would work inside too. I think I’ll pass on bringing wasps in though. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

amazing - just reading now where 2 source.
So what you would take a pair and place kind of 2 per pot or more.
q. once release what can be expected – guess takes a few weeks for them to take control.
I am interested as we live in a orchard/groves lots of fruit and agriculture and so my fight with the thrips probably a long term one?
appreciate the feedback :grinning:

2 Likes

Thrips are number 2 worst pest. Mites are far worse.

2 Likes

I released 300 ladybugs into my ≈2½x4½ space for 4 plants. They’ll end up all over your grow, but they’ll find favorite places to congregate. Mine liked to group around the main stem at branches and around the edge of the pots. They just kinda roam around looking for snacks. lol

2 Likes

Natural pyrethrins derived from Chrysantemum flower are one of the best contact killer for thrips.

4 Likes

If it goes to armageddon I have me fogger and pyrine extract. Fog penetrates better than spray does.

2 Likes

Yep Prey…i just got a mega fogger lol…got permission from my state to grow outside, so got me a pest fogger, I uh…you know found a stray out in the yard last year…and it had white flies all over it.

3 Likes

I’m going to try and Fogg for grasshoppers this summer. Aphids are always after my Brussel sprouts.

1 Like

what problem that plant have?