We're Talking About: Integrated Pest Management

**Integrated Pest Management (**IPM) is about taking a combined approach to prevent and treat pest pressures in order to maximize yields and deliver positive economic and ecological results.

8 Likes

Anyone else here have experience with Venerate/GranDevo/Regalia?

4 Likes

All great (and compliant) products! I am going to tag in @mastergrowers, @CAMasterGrowers, @growopowners, @CAgrowopowners, @GrowOpEmployees, & @Caregivers into this discussion.

Grow folks? Want to help out our friend , @kanapefarms, here? Grandevo, Regalia, Venerate?

3 Likes

I have used Grandevo and Regalia. Effective against most pests and fungi. Grandevo doesn’t help much with a heavy infestation and Regalia doesn’t help with excessive mold, but they do seem to help containment, and therefore prevention. Regalia is also a biostimulant and boosts growth, I used it mainly for that purpose.

I had a bad run in with russet mites with a heavy infestation on 4 rows of 2 cultivars. The damage led to mold grow in drying, cost me about 15% yield on each from mold loses, everything else was fine.

Next year I plan to do more preventative spraying since the mites likely took hold in mid June but were not caught until mid August (my first time with them). I got them under control with sulfur before flower and then moved to Grandevo afterward to help keep them suppressed. I intend to do some early sulfur spraying and then use Grandevo in early flower.

On a side note, I had some aphids developing as well, very early catch, and Grandevo did an excellent job controlling aphids, 90% would be my guess.

7 Likes

Thanks for the information Farmer_Dan!

6 Likes

One of my first articles for Growers Network was focused on IPM. Maybe I should do a follow up eh?

9 Likes

Might be about that time, @Hunter!

3 Likes

A follow up would be wonderful! Its great seeing what most like and their experiences. It helps if I decide to take that path! I have stuck with a solid IPM protocol using organic oils and DE for all my topside problems, but am interested in a simpler process!:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

The most basic move in IPM is prevention. Most pests have optimal conditions to thrive, just like plants. Once you create a climate which is unfriendly to them you can reduce over 90% of pest related yield loss.

Maintaining a relatively low level of humidity and reducing the appearance of water in the grow space prevents various molds including bud rot and downy mildew. No fungicides needed.

You’re welcome to visit our website for more information on humidity control and prevention.

5 Likes

Truth! Prevention, being proactive and environmental stability are the real keys to a healthy grow with a true IPM strategy. If you find yourself constantly using pesticides/fungicides then you are not being proactive, you are playing catch-up. The pests/fungi/molds are winning.

5 Likes

its awesome to see more growers develop solid IPM strategies. its all about preventative IPM, reactionary pest control is rough and unless you play it out perfectly you lose alot of crop, time, and/or products.
With biologicals, sometimes the specific mode of action doesnt get classified so its important to research the actives in the products one uses to ensure lots of bases are covered, imo. Kind of like rotating BT for soft bodied things, cordycip. family B.bass for hard bodied insects, clavicip family I.fumo to keep that pressure but with slightly different environmental needs, nematodes to keep rootzones and plant bases healthy, etc.
imo, your IPM regime should be as diverse as the environment you grow in, all rooms have colder, warmer, wetter, drier etc areas and by mixing it up with different organisms you allow all those niches to be filled with competition and predators against pests.

as for conventionals, good IPM practices keep costs down too as growers can maximize the efficacy of their chemicals and not risk improving resistance for any pests.

awesome topic!

7 Likes

Cool. I had great luck with Venerate and Grandevo. Had a major broad mite issue on incoming cuts. Took 3 weeks but took out 90% of bugs. Then released the swarski’s.

5 Likes

Absolutely- preventative is key- but most of the expert grower’s that i know always come across a new issue. A new worm, bug, etc. So keeping topic open as to current issues is super key. Temps staying warmer, bigger opps, new lications, viruses, bugs coming in from nurseries—— even the best of us grower’s come across new scenarios demanding the specific bacteria/ fungi we have yet needed or used. Just today i was told about a bacteria strain that solves cutworm issues that i personally have yet to come across. Always learning- always sharing knowledge- never thinking the future holds no new problems. Growers for life- medicine for all-

3 Likes

I am loving the A. fallicus mixed with Californicus- to keep all kinds of mites at bay.

3 Likes

No , no and no ! I have bad experience with especially Grandevo , i have used in my IPM as preventive since first day sprayed on weekly base together with some other products , it doesnt look like it helps either prevent, i had the worst outbreak of spider mites that year , few plants that were not sprayed with Grandevo they were clean from mites lol , it looks like attracts with that chocolate smell mites and caterpilars not prevent lol . The company Marrone has nice marketing , and the way that they explain how Grandevo looks cool but no ! Regalia , i will be not sure is it because of Regali or other products in my IPM like ZeroTol,NukeEm,SafeSulfur but it looks like it works , whatever is it …

1 Like

The biggest mite infestation ever with Grandevo . My experience is really bad with Marrone …