What are these?

Trying to help someone identify these things, and I’m at a loss. Can anyone tell me what they are? I’m told these are the adults and the immatures look like little “fuzzballs.” Thanks for your help!

Edit: I’m told these are stationary and attached to the leaf, possibly some sort of ootheca???

2 Likes

You’ve got crabs (leaf crabs). You need to take yourself to the clinic at once! Just kidding.

I wish I had a good answer for those strange looking little creepers! Maybe @ARBICO can chime in on this one.

4 Likes

doesnt look like any instar stage of any typical leaf pest.

more pics? pics of damage?

3 Likes

These pics are the best we have unfortunately. No damage was reported. Trying to wrap our heads around it and thinking they could be seed pods blown in from another plant. I’ve reached out to an entomologist I know as well as a couple related subreddits. No one knows yet!

Thanks for the response, Mike. Wish I had more info.

2 Likes

Okay, I was able to find an answer to my own question…I think. They appear to be scale insects (Hemiptera) of the Ceroplastes genus. Not sure what species, but hey, we got it.

3 Likes

Looks like a japanese wax scale from doing a little digging on Google. Never seen this kind before. It looks like an alien life form.

3 Likes

Right? Crazy looking. Reminds me of Bowser from the Mario Universe

4 Likes

Spot on! Did they do any damage to the plant at all?

3 Likes

As far as I know they’re not responsible for any direct die off, but they can weaken plants if the infestation is bad. They’re sap suckers, and my guess is if left unchecked you’d see a significant reduction in yield. I’ve been doing a lot of pest research lately and this is the first time these guys have ever shown up. @Growernick might be able to speak to the extent of the damage they can cause.

2 Likes

Scale can be quite damaging and just gross as well. Like many creatures that wreak havoc on your crops, scale leaves sticky trails of honeydew all over foliage. I also have never seen something so horribly beautiful. Nice call on the Mario reference, @nick! Totally looks like Bowser!

2 Likes

I recently found something kinda similar. No idea what it is

3 Likes

These are crazy looking! Are they about aphid sized? I wonder what predator insect could take those bad boys out… You’d need some pirate bugs or something.

Are they mostly on leaves or do they stick to stems as well?

3 Likes

This thread makes me feel like I crossed into “The Upside Down” from Stranger Things. Damn Nature, you scary! :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Also appears to be scale to me…but I can be wrong…

Anybody got any guesses for @vritzka?

2 Likes

Bwahahahaha! Damn nature, you scary!

Maybe this critter can take em out:

6 Likes

I’m a biologist by background and I will never stop being amazed at the wonders (and horrors) that exist in the world.

BUT IF that were real, I think I’d start subscribing to Greek mythology and pray to Hades for salvation. :v:- Out

4 Likes

I’m seriously laughing so hard I almost dropped the laptop! Truth, brother…TRUTH!

4 Likes

I’d put my $ on scale based on the pics I looked through yesterday

2 Likes

damn, ya’ll got me itchin

4 Likes