What are your favorite strains to grow?

What are some of your favorite strains to grow? What strains have been the best heavy yielders, big bouquets, or stickiest if the ickiest for you? On a different, but related note, what have been some of your LEAST favorite strains to grow and why?

5 Likes

HaHa. I wish I knew that. I’m so new at this I don’t even know the answer to that question.

3 Likes

As far as what I’ve grown myself I think bubble gum and chronic widow take home the trophy in the taste department.

Girl Scout cookies and oddly enough a schwag bag seed in the “knock your *$&@ in the dirt” department.

I didn’t like my experience with chemdawg but that was mainly me. I set up the most basic indoor dwc setup imaginable in my bedroom after the robbery and struggled with it. Still made weight but I wasn’t impressed with the quality at all.

The nyc diesel I got going now has been a pleasant growing experience, not sure how the taste is gonna be.

And then goldleaf was an all around strain. Grew big colas and loaded with flavor.

5 Likes

Well, I haven’t grown too many varieties so I can actually run through most of them. :smiley:

Bergman’s Gold Leaf (ILGM) - solid hybrid with strong effects. Billed as a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid. The ones I have grown have a very spicy (pepper) terp profile. Not my favorite to smoke, but a good extraction choice for both yield and taste. I probably won’t grow anymore of them, though. High yielding plant.

ILGM Super Silver Haze - one of my favorites. I have grown only one, ran it in a 2x4ish SCROG. Yielded nicely, very lemon terps - vaped it tastes like lemon tea. Very sativa-esque with a strong heads high. Definitely in my future rotation. Moderate yielding plant for me, but overall good bud structure and density.

Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99 - my current favorite. Super strong head high without the anxiety (for me) - the one I grew had/has a rotten fruit profile, and has at different times smelled like pineapple, overripe bananas, and orange peels. Right now my remaining two jars are a few months into the cure and smell like black licorice. I bred this plant because I wanted to capture the genetics. Easy grower with good yields.

Brothers Grimm Crystal Blue - a solid strain, very buzzy, thrumming high. Flowers have tinges of blue, really good trichome production. Taste is mild, a little spicy (but not pepper, more herb type spice), but extracted and vaped it has a citrus/model glue profile.

ILGM Blackberry Kush - the best plant I’ve personally grown in terms of overall quality. A strong berry flavor with mild sweetness - not a sharp, citrus terp profile at all. Very much a kush in terms of effects. It was a trouble free grower for me with a solid yield (I had a roughly 2x3 scrog and she gave me 12oz and change).

I’ve grown a few other strains (amnesia haze, northern lights, white widow, chronic widow, etc.) as well, but most of them were outdoors and I didn’t really spend as much time with them as I do with my indoor plants.

5 Likes

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Any other @Hobbyist have favorite cultivars to grow?

2 Likes

So far in 5 years I have grown 48 different strains. I have 11 strains at present, Ghost Train Haze#1, Liberty Haze, Trippy Gorilla, Sour Diesel, Bruce Banner#3, Banana Kush, Gorilla Glue#4, Gorilla Cookies, Gold Leaf, Rolex OG Kush and Space. My favorites so far are Liberty Haze, THC Bomb, Thin Mint GSC, and Vanilla Kush.

7 Likes

Holy smokes, I like to strain experiment but I’ve kinda settled in on a couple of strains that I really like

5 Likes

I like Gold Leaf… and Skywalker was amazing last season… but my truly favorite is Willy’s Wonder… just popped 2 into germination last night… and I love Black Domina too… and the stroy about Louis XIII when the Armenian boys pulled up in an SUV and Kevin Joudrey thought he was going to get shot and they gave him clones of it and said it would make him millions is a reason I like to grow it sometimes… they were brothers and he was helping their 80 year old mother with medical cannabis and they were just thanking him…

4 Likes

I grew 15 outdoors last year and all 15 were different strain…lol… talk about a mental season…lol…

4 Likes

I grow White Widow with excellent results in my garage, I live in GA so the summer temps in the garage are high but the WW doesn’t seem to mind, keeping the roots cool make for a nice harvest, Money Tree grows huge but isn’t a great smoke, also does well in high temps, Psycho Hose Beast doesn’t grow well in the heat, but if you can keep it cool it will yield huge indoors, and has a pleasant long lasting head high, Big Cheese is the hardest Sativa I grow, if you hydro it yields big, but in a soil grow it doesn’t seem to produce as well, better in the winter but in the summer it struggles in the heat, I’ve had less than stellar results with Bubba Kush and Sour Diesel but that was early on and I haven’t tried them in a while. As for least favorite Afgan cush gave me the biggest trouble with keeping healthy plants, not gonna waste any more time or money with that, also Bouncing Betty, that was a crop I spent a fortune on just to watch it die. I definitely find Indica easier to grow, but Sativa is very forgiving if you spend a lot of time with your girls, she will surprise you.

5 Likes

I have made ice/water and wax out of Black D.O.G and all you taste is the black berry… amazing strain and terpenes… Black Domina with the calyophyene terpene is my favorite of all flavors… the taste of black pepper is amazing…

5 Likes

After growing several different strains, I’m starting to narrow down my preferences. I grow autos, preferring heady Sativas above all others, but tbh, as long as it doesn’t couchlock me, I’ll smoke/eat whatever weed there is. Currently, I have lost over 20lbs in 8 months, just by switching to predominantly Sativa or Sativa dominant strains. The Indica dominant hybrids I’ve grown were harvested at less than 10% amber trichomes; except for Blue Cheeses, I think I am mostly done with Indicas.

I really love Fastbuds’ Blue Dream’atic and Big Buddha’s Auto Blue Cheese, for their terpenes, resin, and just about perfect high. FB’s Green Crack was an amazing plant to grow, which yielded me 6oz of some stinky, zippy Sativa nugs in only 3 months time.

Next grow season, I plan on trying several auto Blue Cheese strains, to see if Big Buddha’s is the best. I’m also going to try several Sativa dominant “Blue” strains–Blue Pearl, Critical Blue, Blue Amnesia xxl, etc–to see if any others compare to the terpenes and sweet high of Blue Dream’atic. I will also have one Blue Dream’atic going, at all times.

If anybody knows of a Sativa Blue Auto strain (not listed above) that tastes like a piney blueberry lemon sorbet, please let me know, as I have one open spot left for next season. I don’t care for lemony strains on their own, but add it to blueberry and pine, and omfg, weedgasm.

5 Likes

That sounds awesome

2 Likes

I’m a traditionalist…

Pineapple Express
Northern Lights
Grape Ape
God’s Gift
Would love some old school columbian gold…

5 Likes

I have Afghani and Himalayan land races to grow soon… Chitrali, Kuamoni, Pavarti and Mazar-i-Sharif…I have Mazar-i-Sharif rosin I pressed from 21g of the hash… I like the charas (hash) strains as they extract really well… I love the originals… I would love the old school Acapulco Gold… every one that grows Blueberry I try to tell look around a little… you want DJ Shorts or pre '93… it’s the original and in my mind superior to the hybrid present day blueberry strain…

7 Likes

Blessings. Yes Blessings. Beauuuutiful.

3 Likes

I remember some blueberry nuggets back in 2002 or 2003. It was like, White Fire (the one with peppery notes) but with blended blueberries. It was amazing.

3 Likes

Caryophyllene is the terpene that gives the peppery flavor…

4 Likes

Ok. This is really great, i just thought about other plants, besides cannabis, that have the same properties and similar flavors and fuse them together in oil.

4 Likes

Maui Wowie (ILGM)
Fire OG (ILGM)
Girl Scout Cookies (sensible seeds)
Are the most memorable strains I’ve tried of quite a few I’ve grown.
GSC was lowest yielder but the flavor was unreal. I had a mint cookie phenotype.
All were great growers, the GSC became more nitrogen hungry as she went into flower, her stretch is almost 200%.

MW and FOG both have permanent place in the tent for now.

5 Likes