What are your thoughts on on-site consumption?

Yesterday, April 11th, cannabis business owners in Alaska were able to file for permits to begin allowing for on-site consumption of cannabis. This marks the first time in U.S. history that a state has allowed for the on-site consumption of cannabis (Denver and San Francisco both allow cannabis social clubs). Do you think there will be repercussions? What are your thoughts about on-site consumption? Are hash bars and coffee shops right around the corner?

3 Likes

They have been doing onsite smoking in Holland forever. Some “Coffee Shops” were better then others. Keep in mind this was 1997-98 when I was there. The Coffee Shops were pretty cool and the buds were nice, but the House Dealer is where it was at. I met some guys that rented an apartment just to grow in. They introduced me to my first house dealer. The bubs were amazing and at the time here in the States we didn’t have anything that even came close lol.

I don’t think there will any issues smoking onsite in Alaska. If they were to allow liquor to be purchased also then problems will arise like they always have in Bars, nightclubs, etc…

3 Likes

Hi Nick, To be or not to be, that is the question. I think we have a pretty good head of steam built up here in The 'States, and being able to socialize and smoke in public will happen. I was at Emerald Cup this past December, and smoking good weed in public is just too much fun.

Timing is going to depend on the state, looks like Alaska might be a front runner on the coffee shops.

The publicly stoned problems we see will be akin to those we see when alcohol is consumed publicly - I think with far less aggression though. What I mean is DUI is DUI is DUI - it goes without saying law enforcement would need a tool kit for policing the roads. That said, I have never met anyone that went on an aggressive, destructive bender on weed like you see with far too many people drunk on alcohol.

2 Likes

I think it’s awesome.

2 Likes

Love it! Now we need this in AZ so we can have REAL Happy Hours. :grin:

2 Likes

P.S. There is a consumption spot in Phoenix, DOMMLife. We have Cannafriends there.

2 Likes

I’ll offer a celebratory cheers to that!

First sesh will be on me, @amy!

3 Likes

Not as glorious as it sounds, onsite consumption is for stand alone retail stores only, the weed smoked must be purchased at the store and no more than 1 gram may be purchased and smoked at anytime. It will be a good option for tourists since at this time they have no place to smoke purchased weed legally except maybe an Airbnb that advertises 420 friendly. With that said, the industry keeps moving forward.

3 Likes

First of all, some people are getting hip to the idea that legalization has not created a bunch of out-of-thier-heads rolling around on the public sidewalks. Second, vaping is going on all around whenever I go out on a weekend night, no one really cares anymore. Third, well, uhhh, I first read the thread title and I thought it was about people posting on forums while stoned, lolz

2 Likes

One of the best movie openings ever. BLEEP BLORP

1 Like