What did I do wrong? Boveda did next to nothing

OK, started final trimming and putting up in glass jars two days ago. I had purchased the 8Gram Boveda packs and got 20 of them to cure out my last grow. I also bought 4 of the small digital humidistats to place in the gallon glass jars. I checked the accuracy of the humidistats before using them, put all 4 on the kitchen counter and only one of them was different in their reading and by only 1%.

So anyway, I tent dried my bud @62% RH in a dark grow tent. Then when they snapped good, started the cleaning/trimming process. Put in the glass jars immediately as I got each limb done, and closed the jar to keep the humidity in. I put 4 oz in a gallon glass jar…(by weight) and as I filled it I put a Boveda pack in the bottom, then at a third, then at two thirds, and then one on top. I placed the humidistat in the jar which was reading at 47% RH when first placed, and 48 hours later it is only reading 49% RH. Seems like it isn’t doing squat.

Any suggestions? Do they get old and go bad? First time using them and am very disappointed.

4 Likes

They do dry out, if the boveda packs don’t feel “puffy” and full of water then they are dried up. Even when not dried up, they take a long time to actually raise the moisture content of buds as the moisture release is very slow, specially with the smaller 8g packs.

You can raise the moisture content of your buds much quicker with a moistened and then wrung out paper towel (I would use RO or distilled water) placed into the jar for a few hours, then remove and see what the RH levels off to in 24 hours and then can give more moisture if needed by repeating the paper towel thing. You can also use some fresh leaves but I find the paper towel method the quickest way to add moisture to over-dry buds. I’m not a fan of using boveda packs anywhere in the drying and curing process though.

You can “recharge” dry boveda packs by sitting them in distilled water in a ziploc bag or small tupperware container for a couple days.

4 Likes

Lots of youtube vidoes how to recharge.

4 Likes

@PreyBird1 @hellraiser Thanks guys. I will just do my old tried and true trick of putting an apple slice or two in the jars for a day. They shouldn’t be over dry just pulled them out of the tent and the RH in there is 63% I used my Infinity fan with humidity control sensor and set it at 62% it stayed that way for a week. I will put these Boveda packs in some distilled water and try and charge them up. Maybe the seller sent me old ones, I’ve only had them a week. They did feel puffy and squishy so I’m thinking they were OK. Don’t think I will spend the money on them again either.

3 Likes

We put a small bit of cotton ball with filtered water in with the bud. It takes a day, but everything will be evenly moistened.

2 Likes

Thanks @Homey thought I would try them (Boveda), my old faithful has always been a couple of apple slices, adds a slight apple smell as well which is usually pretty nice.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the tips. They are now 1% higher than this morning, just didn’t think that they would take this long. At this rate it will be about 10 days before they get to 62%. Which is OK.

3 Likes

Am I the stoned one reading this wrong …I read it like your still drying them and burping jars?

2 Likes

No I’m not trying to get them any dryer…I kept the humidity at 62% in the drying tent, I thought that they would be at that or a little more as the humidity kept going up in the tent, I am just curing them in sealed glass jars at this time. I wanted to keep them at a constant 62% RH and see if it made a difference in flavor and smell. I already figured out that I let them get too dry before I jarred them up. I am not burping them, I am keeping the jars closed up.

2 Likes

That’s nice to know about recharging boveda packs other that not being sure about freezing them that time, I’ve been having good luck with using them I’m just pretty much just using them in containers that I’m in and out of alot keep them from drying out like that one guy said if you put your weed in a jar and it’s airtight you won’t lose any moisture as long as you leave it sealed up

1 Like

Lettuce leaf transfers moisture very well to jarred pot I leave a leaf in for 2 hours then take it out and leave it for 2 hours to allow the humidity to stabilize each time usually ups it about 4-6% and any lettuce smell goes away with daily burping

3 Likes

Have you seen this? The less I have to mess with, the better it will end up.

2 Likes

Boveda alters the taste of the products if it sets in too long in the jars. If its not gonna be a jar that is opened and closed multiple times per day then a boveda shouldnt be necessary. Jar the buds alone with meters and if too high open jar dump buds out for a bit 30 mins or so and rejar and check in 4 hours. Boveda works to helpaintain a certain rh but will dry out a bud faster than what u want it to mot letting a full conversions happen altering the tastes as the sugars are still in form if chlorophyll in ways. Try jarring withoit boveda and add boveds to jars thatbu open alot in a day to take smoke out for urself or such. Leave whatbu want stored without boveda and let it have the slow time to convert and cure good.