What experiments are you running in your grow operation?

Do you have any experimental setups to test out new products and new ways of doing things? If so, what are you trying and what results have you gotten? Anything you’ve rolled out into the rest of your operation?

2 Likes

A number of years ago I started testing autoflowering after a mid season failure of my main crop. I needed to ensure some harvest and gave them a try - I had never really thought much of the ruderalis strains but I was surprised by the amount of genetics out there and the amount invested by a lot of seed banks.

Now they are a key part of our production enabling numerous harvests per season of some very high quality material.

With the Ruderalis genes I think they probably also have a different medicinal effect and that strain traditionally has more of the CBD, CBG etc elements rather than THC.

Our next step is to start lab testing our different strains and genes to start working on specific cannabinoid chemicals.

3 Likes

Let us know your results! I’m very keen to learn what comes with the ruderalis strains, given my background in genetics and biology. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to say that the Ruderalis strains are fun to play with for breeding - you can have 3 natural generations grow in a season so it gives you a lot of ability to play with strain development.

However… they are prone to revert to the wild genes more often - and throw more interesting mutants - one thing I find quite common are seedlings that appear to not have a chlorophyll processing gene - they emerge white/yellow - and stay that way for a while - and then they just die. Also plants with just a blunt stem - the first 2 seed leaves and then that’s it. I’m guessing those are just dead end gene mixes from the hybridization.

3 Likes

[quote=“nathan, post:4, topic:535, full:true”]I’m guessing those are just dead end gene mixes from the hybridization.
[/quote]

That would be my guess as well. Crossing a wild type (Ruderalis) with a domesticated variety (Sativa/Indica) probably increases the likelihood of genetic duds.

Bumping this topic for the newbies - any interesting experiments you’re conducting at the moment?

1 Like