What Is ‘Craft Cannabis’ And How Is It Different Than Other Marijuana?

Artisinal, Craft, Boutique… How does the small scale grower differentiate themselves from the big corporate players…

http://www.weednews.co/what-is-craft-cannabis-and-how-is-it-different-than-other-marijuana/

2 Likes

@nathan we interviewed a boutique grow operation out of Colorado called Veritas:

1 Like

@nick - I saw that interview - it was excellent with a lot of rich information - Veritas is a great operation and definitely one of the legalized inspirational models!

2 Likes

I think that’s where branding and reputation will come in. Just like in the wine and beer industry, establishing a reputation, winning awards from established contests, and recommendations from people you trust will become the way that premium cannabis will become known. Just like how a good wine can’t be differentiated from an average wine by testing for compounds or alcohol level, you won’t be able to tell good cannabis just from the CBD, THC and terpene percentages.

2 Likes

Speaking of wine…
http://www.wine-weed.com/

3 Likes

and here…

1 Like

Interesting - I hadn’t thought about how much competition this would bring to the wine industry, outside of the competition as a product for sale. Makes sense that they’re going to vie for good land, water and other resources.

1 Like

The really interesting thing is that it may force wine makers to up their game – Often the most “flavor” from wine (the terpenes) come out when grapes are stressed in sub-optimal soil, just like cannabis in flowering, when most people flush their systems. People may end up vying for sub-standard land and resources too, not just the good stuff.

3 Likes

Interesting article from Stoner Magazine about pairing wines with cannabis strains: Fruit & Flower | A Wine & Weed Pairing Guide - Stoner Magazine

2 Likes

This topic makes me so happy :slight_smile:

I guess there’s small batch, artisanal craft – and then there’s “make it look like craft but not really”. Same with beer, except with beer, they have rules around what is “craft beer”. There’s no rules around (yet) for cannabis.

Did you guys see this?

3 Likes

@Changemaker-Lilli that was an interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Here is a quick snippet:

Minor outrage erupted in the beer world, and one Ohioan filed a class-action lawsuit against Walmart for misleading the public into believing that these beers were produced by small operations. The claim of false advertising relies on the non-existence of Trouble Brewing, the placement in stores of Trouble beers next to legitimate craft beers rather than macro-beers like Budweiser, the tendency of consumers to believe craft beers are of higher quality than macro-beers, and the statements made by Walmart to the Post. “It is a wholesale fiction created by the Defendant in order to deceive customers,” writes the claimant.

2 Likes