What is the right moisture content for cured flowers?

On internet we can find numbers from 10-12% of moisture content or even up to 15% of moisture for cured flowers . However , everyone who is measuring the moisture content correctly knows that those number cant be true, flowers with moisture content of 10-12% are wet on touch , and 15% is like sponge . Most of the growers overdry the flowers leaving almost no smell , recently i have visited a dispensary most of the flowers from very well known brands are totally dry . Whats your opinion and on what moisture content you pack your flowers . For me 7-8% it looks ideal , not wet on touch but still fresh and not crumbling .

5 Likes

The cigar community has a lot to teach us about storage. This guy does a good job explaining how to find the best number for yourself and keep your product the way you prefer it.
https://youtu.be/bmPcZwHIkQ4 there is a part 1 where he digs into the research behind the chart (which is specific to tobacco, but laid over a standard psychrometric chart).

6 Likes

Wow very nice video !

3 Likes

I think in the end it comes down to what do your customers like, and what’s the best way for you to give it to your customers. I personally cure in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids with a 62% 2 way humidity pack and a room temperature of about 68°F/20°C. I think it keeps them the right consistency, not too crunchy or gummy, and keeps is scent potent long-term.
Try a few different methods and see that you like. Fill 4 buckets with the same harvest, put 62% packs in 2 of the buckets, 55% in the other 2 buckets. Keep a 55% and a 68% in a cooler room, keep the other 2 in a warmer room and see what you like best after following the same burping or curing process.

5 Likes

I do exactly the same thing , just instead 5 gallon buckets i keep them in 50 gallon totes 25% filled i like to keep more air in the totes , with Integra 62% humidity packs on room temperature . After 2 weeks of curing we test the moisture content . We used moisture analyzer and compare with microwave giving same results, so we decide to return the moisture analyzer because its too expensive for no reason , also a wood moisture meter is good indicator . I am planning to move on 55% humidity packs in the future . A lot people talk about increasing yield , but they forget to mention the moisture content :smiley: The best way to increase your yield for 10% .

4 Likes

Are the totes you’re using air tight? I’ve heard of complaints of some farmers that the totes they were using weren’t air tight enough to get the cure there wanted. Food safe 55 gallon drums would be the next thing I want to try for cure.

1 Like

As long they keep the desire humidity of the humidity bags its ok for me . They are always perfectly 62% not even 1% below or above .

3 Likes

Awesome video! This sort of reminds me of the VPD chart, in terms of find that relative sweet spot. As always, thanks for sharing! And @eldindupljak Thanks for starting this topic. Very informative, indeed!

2 Likes

@eldindupljak @devjyarn I see that both of you mentioned storing your flowers in 5 gallon buckets or totes. Is this how you DRY your flowers or cure them? I currently put mine on a drying rack and try to dry them over the course of a week. Low and slow is how I was taught. I’m curious to know if that’s correct.

2 Likes

I dry them in a controlled environment - a dedicated grow tent works well, or a space you know has a consistent temp and humidity. After about 2 weeks I put them into the buckets for curing with the 62% packs.

2 Likes

Ahh gotcha! Ok, thanks! Yes, right now I have a dedicated drying closet which has a dehumidifier and fan. So now, I just need to work on keeping the temp and RH at that optimum level. I’m going to go out today to get another Hygrometer to make sure I’m on track.

2 Likes

@eldindupljak I just found this video where a guy gives an explanation of a great curing and batching system.

4 Likes