What makes the pistils turn brown after pesticide application?

Anybody knows how to protect pistils from going brown after pesticide application ?
And what makes pistils going brown after pesticide application : temperature,light,PH of the solution, dehydration . In ideal conditions we should not spray in time of flowering , but in reality most of the commercial greenhouses continue spraying until late flowering .
As long doesnt affect the smell and the lab test , its good for spraying .
How you protect pistils from late pesticide application ?

4 Likes

What did you use last ?

3 Likes

Ipm practices are best for a overall healthy environment to reduce pesticides all together

2 Likes

I am using many things , my IPM is very strict 3 times weekly . We grow in Greenhouses with passive climate control and the nature around us is full with mites . We spray everything in VEG from : Grandevo,Regalia,NukeEm,SafeSulfur,Azaguard,ZeroTol, Insect Soaps and etc . In flower we introduce beneficial insects and we are selective with pesticides , to not harm the beneficials , avoiding Neem Oil, Sulfur and things that affects flowers . But i have never found way to protect the pistils , spraying in early morning,dark,cold temperatures,hydrated ,adjusted PH and so on so forth . I dont burn them bad , but certainly it affects them with whatever i spray . I dont know is it possible to save them completely .

4 Likes

@eldindupljak Just curious when spraying the more mature flowers, you said you had a burning of the pistils. Since pistils don’t affect the potency or taste, by burning some of them is it more of an aesthetics issue? or were you referring to burning some of the Trichomes?

2 Likes

I havent seen affecting of potency or taste , but yeah is more aesthetic issue , i cant watch them like that :smiley: I am spraying very carefully with very fine sprayer , so the burning is not so bad , but u can notice light burning on the edges of the pistils . I would like to give them a good spraying to wash them from dust and contamination in middle of flowering , but i know it will completely burn the pistils things like ZeroTol .

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification !

1 Like

Try vaporizing the solution and maybe just the undersides. I know from my experience with it, if done up to mid bloom, the hairs will recover and new ones will push past the old regaining bag appeal. Ive also found that if i let the plants get fairly dry (dropping from Lack of feed water) but not SAGGY, this also helps a little. As im sure you know, the stigma is the gateway to the reproductive zone on fems. This makes them EXTREMELY delicate. So however u can best reduce the chemical contact on them would be your best course of action. Hence vaporizing your agents. Hope that helps at least a little bit. Please remember, this is from my own experiences and 20+ years of steady growing. Best of luck! :pray:

"All i can offer is the truth. Nothing more. " … Morpheus - Matrix.

3 Likes

Eldin, most often overlooked is the pesticide formulation. Most liquid formulations contain hydrocarbon oils that are used to emulsify the active ingredient and act as ‘spreaders’. That is probably the source of your ‘burn’. If you have the option of using wettable powder formulations your pistils will probably be better off. JMHO but I always avoid use of added ‘spreaders’ whenever treating plants. They are not necessary when you use high pressure and a fine spray…FWIW

1 Like