What strains would you like to see sequenced?

Have you ever grown two plants of the same strains only to discover they are vastly different in structure, smell, yield and effect? Did that phenomenon leave you scratching your head and wondering what happened at the genetic level?

There are so many cultivars out there. And it seems like there are a lot more genetic questions than answers. Several labs have begun the arduous task of sequencing the DNA of many of our popular strains to give us a clearer picture of our plants. What we are finding is the Blue Dream you are growing might be a lot different than the Blue Dream your neighbor is growing on her farm.

Cannabis genetic profiles are becoming commonplace in our business. This information has the power to help shape the future of the cannabis industry. This topic is sort of in line with the favorite strain question: what cannabis cultivars would our @memberdirectory like to see sequenced?

Shoutout to @BenMGC and @emeraldscientific!

2 Likes

I think it would be best to start with the base cultivars, like Northern Lights, or Skunk #1, even Blueberry (before and after Dutch takeover). With those sequenced you could check for markers on derivatives, and start to build the lines of succession.

2 Likes

My two favorite strains for my migraines have been “Jack The Ripper” and “ShishkaBerry” I never saw anyone else growing them besides the friend who gave me cuttings and disappeared shortly after. They were the only two strains I could smoke while in a heavy migraine and have it take it away. Most all other strains take the sharp pain away but still have the dull achy pain with light and sound sensitivity. There is a real science behind why and would love to know.

3 Likes

Nice! YESSSSS! I forgot about Shishkaberry! I received a killer cut from South Bend 15+ years ago that was mindblowing! Man, I wish I still had that strain…Any @growopowners or @Geneticists have any Shishkaberry? I would also love to see this cultivar sequenced so we could maybe try to breed it back to life!

1 Like

That would be something I would love to get my hands on again!! Only seen one batch from a farm that failed here in Bend,OR. It was only blasted into concentrate before people got really good at it. SO, the flavor was not there and I really like flower more any ways.

1 Like

I am the same way, Brother!

:green_heart: Flower

1 Like

I might have some of Barneys farm shiskaberry.

2 Likes

No kidding. That is badass.

1 Like

I hope so. Just got the the time capsules in.

1 Like

Cuts are rare for sure… San has worked with Shishkaberry, made a cross with M39, available in seed form :: https://seedheaven.net/product/shivaberry/

1 Like