What would you charge to process a 5 ft plant?

i had a buddy ask me if i’d help trim this year. i had no idea what i was in for. im a seasoned grower/harvester, i’ve been a part of it all from seed or clone to sale.
he brought them over one or 2 at a time, each about 5 ft tall. i did all 12 plants myself, produced 10 lbs, 5 oz, and 10 grams (i wasn’t set up for it either, i had to throw it all together from hanging lines and drying racks to jars and buckets). it took 2 weeks (on day 14 i told him “his order was ready” lol). i still don’t know what to charge him. i made it very nice and professional, 5 food grade buckets with spin lids holding 1.5 lbs each and 45 mason jars each holding 1 oz. i even took care of all the byproduct (i use leaf and trim for infusions and extractions, and i burned all the stalks and sticks).
he left me with 9 oz, i smoked bout an ounce while trimming. im an honest guy. he did say that wasn’t my entire payment, and we have the agreement that i don’t need or want money. im not sure how much more to ask for to fulfill payment. looking for ideas, or experiences.

3 Likes

figured i’d add a picture of the end product.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yes folks have no idea how much time it takes to grow, tend to, and process our girls. Hope you get fairly compensated for your hard work. Those nugs look great, you did a great job.

2 Likes

When I trimmed for a garden I worked at we got an ounce bonus per pound after your first so it started on the second but we were also being paid 10/hr

3 Likes

Working on Cali farms before prices hit the floor u could usually find trim work for 150-200 lb processed and when we would be big leafing/hanging to dry we got 20/hr that was back in 2016 when outdoor bud was going for about 1200/lb

4 Likes

About 200 a pound …

3 Likes

Yeah about 200 a lb for the quality work you did. Obviously if you feel that’s too much due to getting some zips, that’s on you, but the bottom line is that you did the work and he is getting the money. As much as I hate money you deserve more compensation.

2 Likes

I would think if you bought the jars and buckets, etc., those should for sure be reimbursed at least. As for payment, it depends on how good a friend they are LOL … actual payment would be best planned for in advance as I’m sure you have figured out now. I’m amazed that your friend asked you to help trim and then left you to do it all. Some communication was left out here. You did an amazing job and seems you deserve a little more than 9 oz of bud and the trim. :seedling: :grimacing: :seedling:

5 Likes

thank you all for the feedback. he is a buddy, so i just wanted an idea of what it’s worth. to be honest, he doesn’t smoke. he used to make butters for edibles for his wife, but unfortunately she passed this past year and he was left with this harvest. i have no clue what he intends to do with it, he was never a smoker or seller and i can’t see him starting now, but i also told him it wasn’t my business. my business started when he dropped them off and ended when he picked them up. im hoping he will put my name out there a little for next year. i have no use for money, sounds funny but i have what i need and take care of what i have to. no wants really, except the constant ability to smoke. we never came up with numbers in the beginning because he is a friend and i had no idea how much i would be taking on. all that aside, i guess i’m hoping for around 8 to 10 more ounces, and i would feel more than compensated. i kinda had to break it down to money, but i don’t pay more than 100 to 150 per oz so that’s what it’s worth to me. i don’t think i mentioned, but i live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and this state is kinda new to the whole industry. prices are wack lol.
i will update to say how it all turns out, but im confident no matter what im paid it will have been worth it. that’s the faith i got in my buddy i guess. i was really curious though, and am thankful for your answers. i’d like to have an idea of what to charge if im able to pick up some more side work next harvest.
Stay safe, stay high!

2 Likes

might as well put a pic of one of the plants. they were all Blue Ox, a hybrid of Blueberry and The Ox, averaging around 14% THC. indica strain. this was one of the smaller ones, bout .85 Lbs or so.
also, i don’t like my picture taken.

5 Likes

Having done one single grow and trim I’d say take 25%? That is the reckoning of the least experienced person here. But really, take the amount that would make you feel slightly happy about doing it again next year.

3 Likes

Well, buddy stopped by today to give me back one of my buckets. i tried to tell him, “naw, it’s all part of the deal. you keep them.” he said it was the other half of my payment! :slight_smile: pretty shocked and very happy. tween the first say 10 and this i got a total of 34 oz… WAY more than i hoped. i smoke bout an ounce a week, give or take, so im set for the next 8 months or so. and i know now what it would take to do a one-man processing service. my next posts will be all about infusions and the uses of them. i really like this network, i feel im in good company.
Stay safe, stay high!

5 Likes

A friend with weed… lol

2 Likes